A question for the veg gardeners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I bought a greenhouse for my wife last summer and built some raised planters too. Really enjoyed the various crops of runner beans, cucumbers and toms and other bits and bobs we got.
Anyway, my question regards hardening off, I've planted my runners, BNS, sweetcorn and peas in the greenhouse and they're starting to come on strong now. However from what I've read they'll need hardening off before they go out into the garden. Is this absolutely necessary if, like mine, the greenhouse they have been started in is unheated?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I don't worry about hardening off greenhouse plants - but it might be a bit early to introduce them into the garden until the frosts have finished.

Our neighbour used to put his runner beans out in early May but after the knock-backs of a few cold nights they were no better off than those planted out in June.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I don't worry about hardening off greenhouse plants - but it might be a bit early to introduce them into the garden until the frosts have finished.

Our neighbour used to put his runner beans out in early May but after the knock-backs of a few cold nights they were no better off than those planted out in June.
Thank you, we don't tend to get many frosts round here, but I was going to give them at least another week or so anyway. Last year, first year we tried any gardening really, nothing went in the ground til late June and we still had bundles of runners, so as you say, no rush :smile:

MikeG

Guru
Somewhere out of strong wind and away from frosts is fine. It doesn't have to be a cold frame. If you've only small quantities of stuff, and they're moveable, you could put them outside during the day and back in the greenhouse over night.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Somewhere out of strong wind and away from frosts is fine. It doesn't have to be a cold frame. If you've only small quantities of stuff, and they're moveable, you could put them outside during the day and back in the greenhouse over night.
Yeah it's a few trays worth of pots, so not a major hassle to move them around. The wind was the other thing I'd read about because of course they have been sheltered from that in the greenhouse at least. Besides, who doesn't like being outside on a nice sunny day, it'll be a treat for them.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
If it's been grown in an unheated greenhouse then you could plant out under cloches- a couple of old sheets of glass will do.
Butternut squash will need much warmer nights than this to grow. I would just pot them up and keep them in. My mum grew some in the greenhouse in a growbag.

It's way too early to plant sweet corn. Sow some more now to plant out early June. Remember to plant them in a block, not in rows as they are wind pollinated.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Hardening off is vital IMO. Even an unheated greenhouse has massive temperature swings over the winter, so plants may not be as tough as you think. For a couple of weeks take them out during the day and put back at night, perhaps gradually leaving the door open overnight as well. There's still a lot of cold about and sweet corn especially don't like their growth to be checked. I've not planted my sweet corn as yet and will probably leave it another two weeks yet. Even then I mollycoddle them something awful, but the results are worth it.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Watch out for the bastard slugs and snails too.
:cursing:

Hardening off is vital IMO. Even an unheated greenhouse has massive temperature swings over the winter, so plants may not be as tough as you think. For a couple of weeks take them out during the day and put back at night, perhaps gradually leaving the door open overnight as well. There's still a lot of cold about and sweet corn especially don't like their growth to be checked. I've not planted my sweet corn as yet and will probably leave it another two weeks yet. Even then I mollycoddle them something awful, but the results are worth it.
^^^^^^ this

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hardening off isn't only about temperature tolerance but hardening of the plant tissues so they are tough. In poly tunnels they use fans for hygiene reasons but also to 'exercise' the plants. Stout, shorter plants will be better than tall plants that have run away.

If you plant sweet corn out now they will stall.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Some great advice here, thank you all. I'll start a gradual hardening off process and look forward to all those lovely veggies to come. It's strangely exciting and ever so rewarding :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sweetcorn is a weirdo. In the U.K. anyhow. It only grows in the dark at night and it has to be warm. When it's warm enough here, our nights are actually quite short so the odds are stacked up against it. It's also odd because vitamins actually increase (or are more easily digested) the longer you cook it. Vitamin K specifically. All other veg loose vits through cooking. The quicker you can get it from plot to pot, the better too.

I've had great success with Golden Bantam. Badgers have had greater success with all the other varieties. Blasted Blaireau.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Beans and peas popped on the bench outside the greenhouse this morning, Sweetcorn and BNS and all the rest of it still tucked up nice and warm inside.

Top Bottom