A Quick Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G_MAN

Is it possible to adapt a normal road bike into one which is more suitable for time trialling by adding aero bars and disc wheels?

I've recently bought a road bike but i'm interested in joining a cycling club and doing a bit of tme trialling.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Indeed it is, but if you're just starting out disk wheels are bloody spendy and a bit of a handful (so I'm told) when it's windy. Someone else will be along in a minute, but I'd just get a pair of tribars and get the handlebars as low as possible for starters

wafflycat

Yes. You'll find many people simply put on some 'clip on' aero bars to a road bike to start off with. Many TT with a road bike frame to which purpose built aerobars are on instead of 'normal' drops with clip on aeros. Disc wheel - on the rear only. Many use a rear disc and front deep rim.

For a long time my son used a Cervelo Soloist frame, Pro Missile bars, Zipp Disc on rear & Zipp 404 on front. If it was very windy, he'd run a Zipp 404 on the back instead of the disc.

Here you go:-

www.ctt.org.uk

The thing with time trialling is you can do it to whatever level your ability/interest lies. You can spend oodles of dosh on a TT-specific bike and carbon bling, or you simply use a road bike as is. You can work at it to be *the fastest* or to get fitter over time by keeping a note of your times on a specific course and get as fast as you can. In the prizes stakes, there's often 'scratch' for overall fastest, handicap prizes - to encourage the less speedy, and age-related prizes.

OP
OP
G

G_MAN

Is it fairly staight forward to cange the gearing across from drop down bars to aero bars?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You don't have to change the gearing at all. The areo bars clip onto the drops that are already fitted. you just have to just arrange the cables so that they go around the areo bars. Unless of course you want to go the whole hog and get bar end shifters on the ends of the areos.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I TT'ed using a road bike - Mavic Clip on aero bars, and Wolber profil 18 aero rims, then moved to deep section HED Jets.

I also borrowed the club disc some times !

RedBike

Yes, you're often best of with a road bike thats slightly smaller than you'd normally ride so that you can get as areodynamic as possible. Your position on the bike is arguably far more important than which wheels / bars you're using.

Care needs to be taken to get your clip on areo bars in the right place. If you just plonk them ontop of your bars (set at their normal height) the chances are the areo bars will be too high to be effective.

A disc wheel is noticably effected by the wind. They're also noticably heavier than 'normal' wheels. Which is why nobody uses them on the front (too hard to control) and it's rare to see riders using them for hill climbs.

If you're only buying one set of wheels I would recommend planet-x's 82/101 wheels. You'll save hundreds over the cost of a disc; and unlike a disc you can use them (just about) in windy hilly conditions.

RedBike

Most time trials have nearly finished for this year. Most series finish in August / September.

I would put building the time trial bike on hold; and do the last few this year on a standard road bike.

ASC1951

Guru
RedBike said:
Most time trials have nearly finished for this year.
Damn - just as I was coming into form. :ohmy:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I started time trialling on a normal road bike and the first modification I made was clip on tribars (worth about a minute in my case). Ideally I would've needed a smaller frame since even with putting a short stem on and bringing the saddle right forwards I was still a bit too stretched out to get in a good position. I used that set up for a couple seasons tho' and got a TT bike from eBay for £500 which suits me rather better.

I haven't upgraded my wheels yet- I'd probably go a bit quicker but the cost would be significant. Most of my gains so far have come from my position (tribars and a better-fitting machine) and training.

Top Bottom