A scary moment!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I had a scary moment a few days ago. My lace came undone on my left shoe and somehow managed to wrap itself around the pedal axle. As I pedaled forwards it tightened up until I physically couldn't turn the pedals anymore.
What made it worse was I was on a main road turning right on a roundabout at the time, surrounding by rush hour traffic.
I managed to get myself off the island, and to safety by repeatedly pedaling forwards 1 turn then backwards 1 turn (to unwind the lace).
Needless to say, I double check the laces every time out now! :wacko:

jim55

Guru
thats why most if not all cycling shoes are velcro fastened ,,mine are cheap lidl mtb stle trainers with spds ,,laces to tighten but a velcro strap over the top and i tuck the laces under that ,,if u must wear laces tuck them inside your shoe or something

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
The problem is, even after I managed to pull up at the side of the road, I was still tied to the bike on one side :laugh:

I managed to have a clipless moment without wearing cleats. Still, falling over onto the grass verge was a damn site better than what could have happened!

D

Deleted member 1258

Try that when riding fixed.

Thats why my bootlaces are always tucked away out of harms way, I feed the loose ends and loops down between the laces and the tongue of the boot.

lulubel

Über Member
The problem is, even after I managed to pull up at the side of the road, I was still tied to the bike on one side :laugh:

I managed to have a clipless moment without wearing cleats.

Please post a warning before writing things like that. I'm now wearing my coffee :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You had a lucky escape!

I was riding my singlespeed bike in Coventry a couple of years ago and had my trouser legs tucked into my socks. All was well until suddenly my right leg got stuck mid-pedal stroke and I almost lost control of the bike. It turned out that my trouser leg had pulled clear of the sock and had hooked itself over the end of my empty bottle cage!

jim55

Guru
i can beat that for a story(its motorbike related but broadly similiar
my bil just bought a triumph bonneville and it was lovely ,,he came over to mine one day and i was outside washing the car at the time ,,you could hear this thing from miles away so i had warning he was coming and i went and told my partner that joe was coming and come and see his bike ,,so we rushed out just as he pulled up ,,he came to a stop and just keeled over to his right ,,i had to go and help him out from under it ,,the kickstart was up his trouser leg hahhahahah ,,oh how we laughed as his immaculate bike was lying in a heap :laugh:

Top Bottom