A scenic, hilly 102 km forum ride, Todmorden, Sat, 20th Oct, 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looks like just the 3 of us then ... See you in Todmorden at 09:00 @Littgull and between Burnley and Fence 10:15 - 10:25 (-ish!) @Oldfentiger!

A fantastic day out on the bikes today. Great company and perfect conditions with it not being too cold or too warm and a very light wind. Great to see and ride with Phil again (@Oldfentiger) who joined us for a large slice of the route. Some terrific climbing including some iconic hills such as ‘Nick of Pendle’ and ‘Waddington Fell’. A total of over 8000ft of ascent for the complete route.

Many thanks to Colin (@ColinJ) for planning the route variations that involved starting and finishing at Todmorden. We began with the long steep climb up Cross Stones Road and beyond to the Long Causeway. My total mileage was 76 including the additional 12 miles to and from Todmorden. It’s about 5 years since I did the official Seasons of Mist Audax but the relentless amount of climbing and descending is rewarded by simply stunning scenery and views as we crossed through high moorland and scores of attractive villages in the valleys.

The lunch stop at the café in Slaidburn proved a very welcome oasis and it was warm enough in the Autumn sunshine for us to eat and chat outside.
Colin at Waddington Fell Summit.jpg
Waddington Fell Summit.jpg

I took a few pictures at the summit of Waddington Fell but a combination of my decrepit mobile phone camera and my inept photography skills meant that only a couple came out. Sorry Phil, the one I took of yourself riding to the summit of Waddington Fell was one that didn’t materialise.

Feeling nicely fatigued tonight but very satisfied.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Met up with @ColinJ and @Littgull as planned. Weather had warmed up a bit so riding conditions were ideal for us. We had a great relaxed ride with the climbs dropping behind us without too much bother.
Sat and lunched in the sunshine at the cafe in Slaidburn, and put the world to rights as three old farts are wont to do. I was back home by about 3.30pm having greatly enjoyed my shortened version of the the route.
35.6 miles with 4712’ climbed.
Thanks to the other two for the great company as always.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It has been a lovely day so glad you had a good ride rather than the misery of the official ride.

I did manage an easy ride with Lady Skol so not an entirely missed opportunity on my part. Just 14 miles along the canal from Marple to Bugsworth Basin and back in short sleeves. Even managed a pint sat outside The Navigation at Bugsworth.
Managed to bump into @nickyboy just as we were setting off from Marple. Had a quick chat and found out he eas just on the final leg of a mahoosive ride out via Buxton ad Macc!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, it was a very good day out on the bikes. Brian and I set off in cool conditions and ascended into chilly mist on the Long Causeway. We had dressed accordingly. Conditions over at Pendle were a lot better so Phil had turned out wearing shorts.

Brian (left) and Phil at the Nick o'Pendle:

Brian and Phil at Nick of Pendle.jpg

The forecast had been for a maximum of 12-13 degrees with a degree or two off that for windchill. Well, I'm sure that temperatures hit mid to high teens in the sun and there wasn't much wind really so I started to overheat on the climbs later on. I told Brian that I intended to stop at the top of the climb out of Nelson to remove one layer of clothing, and I did so. There was a first for me at the summit ... I have never seen a large brown dildo hanging from a roadside bush before! :laugh:

It was a very hilly route - my ride was 104 kms (65 miles) with 2,470 m (8,100 ft) of climbing.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It has been a lovely day so glad you had a good ride rather than the misery of the official ride.

I did manage an easy ride with Lady Skol so not an entirely missed opportunity on my part. Just 14 miles along the canal from Marple to Bugsworth Basin and back in short sleeves. Even managed a pint sat outside The Navigation at Bugsworth.
Managed to bump into @nickyboy just as we were setting off from Marple. Had a quick chat and found out he eas just on the final leg of a mahoosive ride out via Buxton ad Macc!
Nice to bump into you @I like Skol
My ride was 52 miles and 4,700ft of climbing so a short, flat one compared to this. Lovely weather for all it seems

I took a few pictures at the summit of Waddington Fell but a combination of my decrepit mobile phone camera and my inept photography skills meant that only a couple came out..
Just found this thread and downloaded the gpx for possible future use.

That amount of climbing sounds worse than even my hell of Chiddingley ride, but it is the north of course.

"came out" :smile: Not a phrase I've heard since I was a kid getting my black and white Instamatic prints back from boots. Hell of an achievement to manage that in the digital age :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

"came out" :smile: Not a phrase I've heard since I was a kid getting my black and white Instamatic prints back from boots. Hell of an achievement to manage that in the digital age :smile:
@Littgull carries his phone in his jersey pocket so the camera lens get steamed up with sweat! :laugh:

Damn. How did l not see this?
I'll try to remember to 'tag' you next time we do something like that.

Top Bottom