A second hand Brompton that squeaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ze7v7en

I'm new here so I'm sorry if there's anything inappropriate about my long post.

I recently bought a rebuilt and resprayed black Brompton S6L which has been kind of a nightmare. First, I discovered that the rear hinge has a pretty bad play in it. Got that changed for 50 quids. The folding pedal constantly rattles, but that's to be expected. Ezy wheels also rattle slightly but they're so helpful I can put up with them. However, I'm still left with a really annoying squeak on rough road surfaces. I've regreased the rear suspension bolt so it's definitely not that. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike and is noticeable when I pull hard on the handlebar as I ride.

My hunch right now is that it's something to do with the two front hinges. There's clear play in them as well when unfolded, but when I got a professional Brompton mechanic to look at them, he says they're fine since once clamped in they're secure. But the squeak!!! If I push the handlebar and the saddle in opposite direction while the bike is unfolded, I can feel a small play and a creak but the hinges don't seem to visibly move.

So finally here's my question to someone who owns an old Brompton. Is the play in the front two hinges normal for an old frame? Is it safe? And have you found it to be a cause of noises? If so, how does one get rid of them!?!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A rebuilt and resprayed S6L that needed a new suspension pivot, and it has loose hinges that creak?
That'll be down to the damage caused when it was stolen. Guaranteed.
At least it isn't my old M6R.

OP
OP
Z

ze7v7en

Lubing the hinge did cure it. Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear your Brompton got stolen, Doctor... and now I feel partially responsible. To be perfectly honest, I have come to the same conclusion as you guys that the frame is dodgy. Not knowing much about Brompton at the time I didn't know about frame number. Found out later that there's none on the frame and my heart sank. I'm not sure what's the right thing to do at this point.

Top Bottom