a slight creaking, ticcing noise from the front

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Howdy

I noticed yesterday a very slight noise from what sounds like the front of the bike, a very slight metallic click, a bit like bearings, a bit like hot metal cooling

I thought it was the wheel at first and it might be, it still happens when I freewheel but less so, I'm thinking now it's the headset? so when I'm in the drops and there's some stress going through the handlebars

I think, bike is 18 montths old, 7,000 odd miles and it has hit a ped hard enough to fold the front wheel up and the front wheel got a fairly light knock from a car yesterday

Any guesses and what would a new headset might cost (that is the word for the gubbins inside the head tube init?) for a fratello, no idea what it'll be and will it bugger anything if I leave it for a while and then get used to it?

Ta

It may not be coming from where you think it is. Take a look at Sheldon's discussion of the subject.

gbb

Legendary Member
What bike tynan ? what kind of forks ? occasional noise or repetetive ?

I ask because i had an occasional creaking noise at the front about 9 months ago. It transpired the headset wasnt 'loaded up' correctly on my full carbon forks. A quick trip to my LBS...job done. They sussed it very quickly.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I know how hard it is to work out noises but I've spent some time squinting and paying attention to when the noise happens and when it doesn't, almost sure it's when there's weight and vibration going through the handlebars

condor fratello with carbon forks, started yesterday morning and been there since, can;t hear it most of the time, that quiet but when I freewheel I can just hear it

'loaded up'? wha?

and that'd become apparent after nine months?

gbb

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
I know how hard it is to work out noises but I've spent some time squinting and paying attention to when the noise happens and when it doesn't, almost sure it's when there's weight and vibration going through the handlebars

condor fratello with carbon forks, started yesterday morning and been there since, can;t hear it most of the time, that quiet but when I freewheel I can just hear it

'loaded up'? wha?

and that'd become apparent after nine months?[/QUOTE]

Just about the time mine became apparent...
I'm using the term 'loaded up'...when mine started with just the occasional creak, i tightened the top cap bolt to see if that was it...no difference.
It got progressively worse until i sh1t myself, convinced there was a fault (crack maybe) in the steerer or forks.
When i took it to my LBS he said 'it'll be your headset'...i said, ive already tightened the top bolt.
I wished i'd took better notice, but he undid the top bolt, bounced the front wheel quite firmly on the floor, then tightened the bolt again....hence my term (probably incorrectly) 'loaded up'.

Possibly not your problem Tynan...but he said it wasnt unusual on Bianchi full carbon forks.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Check handlebar/stem clamp. Or stem/steerer tube joint. Try nipping them up. If that fails, slacken them and apply a little carbon assembly paste (even if not carbon!) and re-tighten.

It might also be worth dropping out the forks to examin carefully the steerer tube to fork crown junction as I have heard of small developing cracks causing this sort of click.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thanks all

I'm ashamed to admit that it was no more than a very slight rub on the brake block on one side, the knock to the wheel must have knocked it out of true slightly, the blocks are past the change mark

it is making an odd noise though

anyhow, thanks, sheesh

Top Bottom