A Technical Question on Sewing Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This is not about overlocking etc, or blanket stitch.:evil:

People on this forum may know I that I try to assist at a Resource Centre which recycles all sorts of things. "We" try to recycle the "Scrap" we receive in a practical or artistic way. Recently we have very kindly been given loads of material that is suitable for making bags.

Some one had the excellent idea of showing people how to make their own bags, of a size, colour shape etc of their own choice. It was thought that we would need an industrial sewing machine. I have now found that there is such a machine as a (Industrial) Bag Stitcher. It is described as portable, and meeting Health and Safety Regulations (as in factories etc).

It is a completely different shape to an Industrial Sewing Machine. The free arm is "small square platform", presumably to get into the corners, and seams of a bag, and heavy duty bearing in mind the strength of the fabric used. Just as important is the fact that new Bag Stitchers are a fraction of the cost of an "elaborate" Industrial sewing machine, that will have lots of stitches that will not be needed.

Does anyone on here know these machines well enough to give some guidance about Bag Stitcher machines. Or the name of a reliable manufacturer of such a machine. Or does anyone know someone who knows? The supplier that I found on the internet is in North Wales.

To complicate things further, we have in this county a manufacturer of Jute Bags. I could ask his advice. We are not likely to produce more than a few hundred a year, so would not be in competition with him, but how would I convince him of this if I sought his advice on the types of machines available?

I know that this is a bit of a "long shot" but, lots of people on here work with, or around machinery, so I am hoping someone could very kindly help.

Willow

no idea but perhaps the manufacturer could get some publicity by being an advisor

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Willow said:
no idea but perhaps the manufacturer could get some publicity by being an advisor

At first I thought you meant the manufacturer of the machines. I see you mean the Jute bag manufacturer. I had not thought of that. It will be worth thinking about, perhaps as a link from the website for the Resource Centre.

Willow

Also if appropriate some local press coverage that he is offering advice, never know they may do some training or something for you.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think he got all the local press coverage he could handle last year. One of the nearby towns went "plastic bag free" and he helped them to get started. Involving him as an advisor seems a good idea.

Top Bottom