A Which Wheelset Thread - Advice Sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've decided I'm going to complete a fixed and, I do have a frame, but want to start with wheels. I'll bug you all about other bits as I get to them:biggrin: Problem is I wouldn't know a good/bad wheelset if it bit me on the nose.

so, wanted - wheelset & chainset 700c - sturdy enough to cope with a large fellow:blush: - fixed/fixed flip flop rear hub - would like it to come with both sprockets an 18/20 combo - frame is 126mm spacing rear hub can match or that can be spaced out 3mm each side - 48t chainring & crankset - BB English thread to match chainline - frame has horizontal dropouts so lockrings needed

Am considering decent stuff worth transferring to better frame at future date. Also more bargain pricing in recognition of not wanting to spend too much on an experiment. Not too cheap though, don't want to buy twice. Have looked at various deals online including Spa cycles, have also read up a bit, here and elsewhere. Just a bit out of my depth and would appreciate a bit of clarity/feedback....thanks....Al

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
At last Al you have decided to come across to the dark side . :o) The spa cycles offer of £ 90 for a starter set with a 36 hole combo look a good start.

Also I can thoroughly recommend this lot for some good fixed parts.
http://www.velosolo.co.uk/ I have used them several times now and the service has been very good

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Planet X/on one do a good fixed wheel set.
It wont come with sprockets, you have to buy those yourself. To put them on, just screw them on, put the chain on and push down on the pedals to get it tight so far. Then put the lockring on tight(hammer and screw driver/punch fine for this) then ride up a steep hill, and tighten up the lockring again. Simple, and sprocket is in place.
FSA crank sets are nice, these are made my RPM, and they also make them for on-one aswell.
Those strong light ones look pretty good aswell.
You can either space up the wheel, or just put the wheel in, your frame will flex in that 6mm without too much of a problem, proper way would be to space it though.
Get good wheels, it was only these that i put onto my new frame i think. Wish i had gone for a proper crankset though, would of saved alot of money, so get a good set of wheels and good crankset, and you will be well away:becool:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Ok, so am still looking at wheels, the Goldtec rear hub seems to get good reviews. But build one into a wheel and we're talking £200 here. This has led me to start looking at complete bikes. Anyone know any reasons to avoid certain bikes/establishments, they all seem to look pretty decent to me?

On the plus side I've found an alternative option for securing my feet to the pedals:-

http://yhst-76830746636980.stores.yahoo.net/hofafrsdsh.html

The Hold Fast FRS (Foot Retention System:biggrin:) seems to offer a similar level of convenience as the Powergrip but with easier adjustment and fits on my favoured BMX style pedals. I hope I like them as one set, with some hefty shipping, has set me back nearly £50. There is a cheaper option, looks the same but less professional, via a guy on LFGSS, think they're £25 a pop.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacB said:
The Hold Fast FRS (Foot Retention System:biggrin:) seems to offer a similar level of convenience as the Powergrip but with easier adjustment and fits on my favoured BMX style pedals. I hope I like them as one set, with some hefty shipping, has set me back nearly £50. There is a cheaper option, looks the same but less professional, via a guy on LFGSS, think they're £25 a pop.

;) £ 50.00 for a bit of webbing with fancy writing ? Have you taken leave of your senses. :smile: Just get some m520 spd's, you know it makes sense :laugh:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

4F said:
:evil: £ 50.00 for a bit of webbing with fancy writing ? Have you taken leave of your senses. :biggrin: Just get some m520 spd's, you know it makes sense ;)

Had two sets and sold them, hated clipless but accept fixed needs a pedal foot interface:biggrin:

If these work as various people claim I suspect you'll see more of them and the price will come down

Cranks

Have you spoken to Velodrama? Very good at custom builds and a great selection of products.

Ride what you feel comfortable in, if its platforms, then its platforms!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Cranks said:
Have you spoken to Velodrama? Very good at custom builds and a great selection of products.

Ride what you feel comfortable in, if its platforms, then its platforms!

Except flats on fixed wouldnt be so nice.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I can vouch for two sets I've bought recently

Quest Bikes, nice shop with some good staff in north London. Wheels were set up for Shimano cassettes but the guy changed them for a Campag while I waited for no extra cost. Quest Scafell, cost me about £150/set - very light too!

Planet X Model B wheelset was the other - again similar money and weight.

Don't know if that's the sort of thing you're after but both are nice wheels for not stupid money and both good companies to deal with.

Edit: Just re-checked their websites and they both have fixed gear options for wheels, worth a try IMHO.

Top Bottom