A9 Aviemore - Perth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

I have driven this stretch of road several times but never realy noticed if it has a seperated cycle path or do you have to cycle on the road. i know there are quite a few stretches of the old road which can be used, some now clasified as B roads and others traffic free.
Also i know that the tresspass law is different in Scotland, can you wild camp and if so can anyone recomend some spots not to far of the A9 suitable for overnight tenting.

I wouldn't recommend cycling on the A9. It's bad enough driving on it. I think it would be a lot more pleasureable taking the old longer route. Some of the worst driving I've ever seen has been on this stretch of road.

Loch Tummel is a decent place to camp. We used to camp (wild) there when we were younger.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've gone northwards (it looks to me as if you're going south) on this road five times, and the roads that run parallel are among the finest cycling roads I've ever been on. The bits of the A9 that you do have to use aren't a lot of fun - and the one time I did it in heavy rain I really didn't enjoy, but there's no real alternative.

hubbike

You can follow NCN 7 or 77 the whole way which loosely follows the A9 but is largely traffic free, or low traffic. Much of the route follows General Wade's Military Road which was the old A9.

If you are prepared to do a bit of rough stuff condider one of the off-road passes, such as the Gaick (which I did recently), the Minigaick (a bit harder) or if you are really adventurous the Larig Ghru. Its out in the wilds where the most exceptional campsites will be found.

A nice wild camp at Loch Pattack about an hour cycle from dalwhinne on a managable land rover track.

I'd like to do the Minigaick and stay in the Allt Schiecheachan Bothy.

Alves

Plenty of fast end-to-enders take the main road and they must be mad, it would be very unpleasant indeed.
Follow Sustrans N7 from Aviemore to Ballinluig/Logierait on a mixture of old road and cycle track. This track has got a lot of frost and tractor damage in the last couple of years and there are some cattle grids which are a minor nuisance. The roadside track near Drumochter is prone to litter and broken glass. Very depressing, I have done a couple of Sustrans litter picking sessions here and old fermenting nappies are a ....words fail me.
From Logierait/Ballinluig you can go down the West side of the Tay on N77 which is very scenic but takes you onto a rough (and very pretty riverside section by Dunkeld House Hotel) which is a trackle on 23mm tyres but OK for tourers. Or just follow the main road for 2 miles to Dunkeld and rejoin.
Or from Ballinluig take RR83 to Dunkeld which is a bit quicker and goes down the East side of the Tay Valley.
From Dunkeld/Birnam follow N77 to Perth.
There are lots of very good riverside wild camping possibilities, I can recommend a few good spots if I knew where you were roughly thinking of.
let me know, its my happy hunting ground!

That Noodley speaks the truth again. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms as I failed to get to the Highlands at all in 2008. Not been the same place since "Texas Tom" sold up.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

still early days so just looking at posibilities, current thought is train from London to Aviemore, 3 or 4 nights at Rothiemurchus camp site . Then a gentle ride south stopping a few nights on the wayheading for Comrie Perthshire where folks have a caravan, spend a week in the luxury of the van and tour the sorounding area , then south again by train.
Have got the tent, intended to buy a Vango Tempest 200 but when I looked I ended up getting the 300 which has better headroom , weigh wise the 200 is 2.5 kg and the 300 is 3.2kg so not much more weight but a lot roomier. Just got to get a bed roll and sleeping bag. Did look at Braemar road but there are some long steep hills on that road, reckon on the old A9 and where possible B roads. Bike is a tourer with 700 x 38Cof road tyres so OK for tracks etc.

snorri

Legendary Member
delt1c said:
Then a gentle ride south stopping a few nights on the wayheading for Comrie Perthshire
Then you might consider turning off the A9 route at Dalnacardoch Lodge and make for Trinafour, Tummel Bridge and Aberfeldy, Glen Cochill and The Sma' Glen to Crieff. The unclassified road on the south side of the River Earn is, I think preferable to the A85 from Crieff to Comrie.:tongue:

Noodley

snorri said:
Then you might consider turning off the A9 route at Dalnacardoch Lodge and make for Trinafour, Tummel Bridge and Aberfeldy, Glen Cochill and The Sma' Glen to Crieff. The unclassified road on the south side of the River Earn is, I think preferable to the A85 from Crieff to Comrie.:smile:

Yep, I would agree with that. :becool:

Another + for Loch Earn. My family had a caravan (a posh one I'll have you know) there and I'd spend most weekends there in the summer. Beautiful part of Scotland. If you camp overnight at Loch Earn there's a huge chance you'll see some Red Deer, we used to wake up in the mornings and there'd be dozens of them surrounding the caravan.

MichaelM

Guru
To finish off...

In Crieff turn left over the bridge, then right on to the B8062. St Davids, Tibbermore, Huntingtower and into Perth. Or to Kinkell Bridge and a variation of your choice towards Huntingtower.

Or for some more miles, Auchterarder then Dunning.

Top Bottom