about 10 e bikes locked at Euston

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was suprised to see about 10 e-bikes locked out outside Euston station, mostly from the same manufacturer - Swapfiets for something. Does anyone know why they are so many there?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
sounds like an ebike hire provider. Its a popular thing nowadays. A bit like those Boris bikes, indeed similar weight, but with a motor.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
Guess so, just seemed weird to me, as they did not have anything else to track them etc that I could see. To be honest I didnt look hard just glanced as I walked past

Oh, I went into Oswestry the other day, saw an e-bike shop, and thought wonder how much to hire for day, as may be better than carrying me own e-bike into the town, £50 for the day, did not ask if that was 24 hours or working day, that seemed a bit steep to me, clearly it is worth carrying my own e-bike into the town.

The carrying of a 24 kg bike is not easy, yes could take battery off, but in spite of it folding can't get it into the train carriage, except for the special disabled carriage, it has to stop on the veranda

1680769247445.png
and it means I have to fold it to allow other passengers to get on/off the train. I have considered leaving my bike at the Welshpool end, not to avoid the £3.50 charge but to save putting it on/off the train.

So I can understand some one who regularly does the same route leaving there bike chained up. However with standard gauge trains I did not think there was a charge for carrying your bike? And the entrances are easier to use, as designed to only be used at a platform, unlike the 2'6" gauge where some stations have no platform. Hence the veranda style, which also helps when taking photos.

D

Deleted member 26715

Decathlon have started doing Sport equipment hire including ebikes, I think they are £65 a day

It seems one can hire an e-scooter for £20 a day, and with them you can't buy and ride your own, so they have no competition. One hopes the hire companies work out a hire rate to cover costs of maintenance and replacement so it seems maintenance on e-bikes is high.

But if the e-bike is being used to get around a town, that is very different to riding a mountain bike trail, and to be fair the shop I visited is likely hiring them to take on a mountain bike trail.

icowden

Veteran
I was suprised to see about 10 e-bikes locked out outside Euston station, mostly from the same manufacturer - Swapfiets for something. Does anyone know why they are so many there?

It's a longer term bike hire company. Rather than the usual pick it up and abandon it model, you actually hire a bike. They swap it if there is a problem.

Gwylan

Veteran
Bike purchase £1500.
Admin of rental software etc £500 Spread over 2 years, 500 days.
Annual third party insurance £150.
Allow 10% for maintenance, but it could be much worse if a battery dies.

Depreciate the bike over 2 years, that's 500 days.
Residual value of used bike £250, if you're lucky.
Assume that you get 50% utilisation and 4 hours.
That means 120 ish rentals a year. Optimistically that comes out at about 500 rental hours a year.

Annually
Bike cost £750
Admin £250
Insurance £150
Maintenance £100
Total £1250.
That gives an hourly cost of £2.50

Cannot just have 1 bike probably need 5, premises, web presence, services, staff.
The £2.50 has become £5.00, before you get the sniff of a profit.
Lose one bike a year, theft, fraud whatever and £10.00 an hour £40 a day starts to look ambitious.

Ideal model is a franchise for regular bike hire in a flat town or resort and lots of rental points. More opportunistic rentals.

Real pain with ebikes is you are mixing technology and the unwashed. Recipe for financial disaster.

Top Bottom