about as newbie as you can get

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bucky

hello every one
glad to join the forum and as in the title...a newbie....i bought my son a bike, he and myself used to go every Saturday, only 15... 20miles ish but then as he got more eager and went further......i didnt. thought it was an age thing and practicly gave up on the idea, but recently my thinking has changed and now .....well. after reading peoples posting and acknowledging the right bike means allot and speed n distance can be just a personal best thing. im ready to give it another go and see where it takes me.
looking forward to it and the people involved , i live in Staffordshire and hoping to join a club that may accommodate my newness.

take care all

bucky

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The "right" bike, is any bike you ride!

I do take your point, but don't get too hung-up on bike specs and the like; there's a lot to be said for "starting at the bottom", you'll learn what really makes a difference to your riding, rather than what the manufacturers/shops tell you is important.

I rode a hybrid with a rack for three/four years (including on Sportives); now I have an old racer. It has downtube shifters and a seven speed cassette: well below contemporary spec. However, every aspect of it is more suited to the riding I do than the hybrid, so it is an absolute joy to ride.

If I'd started on a carbon ten speed flyer, I reckon I'd be picking holes in it and looking at £80 carbon fibre bottle cages to try and improve the experience.

To borrow from a well known sports brand: "just do it"!

Bonne route!

OP
OP
B

Bucky

thanks for your comments, im keen to do this and as i now seem to get every Saturday off work....it looks to be a good start point for me.
take care
bucky

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome to the forums !

De-pendant on where you are in stafforshire you might be near enough to Burton Upon Trent , Mercia CC has a number of rides on a Sunday starting from the town hall with 3 different levels of fitness.

"

Club Runs
Club runs are held every Sunday throughout the year. There are 3 groups to choose from.

The fast group leave Burton Town Hall, promptly at 9:15 a.m. The pace is higher than the medium group and the distance covered is 50-70 miles. Typical average speed over 50 miles is 19-20.5mph. There is a cafe stop half way. We aim to keep everyone together until the cafe stop then the pace home gets a little hotter and we operate every man for himself.

The medium paced group leaves Burton Town Hall promptly at 9.15am covering 35-50 miles at 17-19mph.

The slower pace group leaves Burton Town Hall promptly at 9.15am covering 30-50 miles at 14-16mph, or at the pace of the slowest rider. Please call Tony Marlow on 07973 414284 for details.

We recommend you start with the medium group if you are new to cycling or are not used to fast pace group riding. Please email Richard Knott or ring 07882 290116 or Simon Parker at the club for more information.

Non club members are very welcome on either ride."

The 2 "slower " groups do operate a no drop policy where people wait and someone will make sure you get back , i recently have been trying the fast group and they can certainly motor .

You could also look at the CTC ...

http://www.ctc.org.uk/events_guide/events_guide_frontend/local_groups/lg_group.aspx

here is the link to British cycling club finder..
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Welcome!!

We all started from somewhere! Good luck and I hope the cycling bug gets you too!

colly

Re member eR
Welcome Bucky, :hello:

Keep us posted won't you?

Welcome; Whiskers is right. If i can do This then there's hope for everyone.:thumbsup:

Nice ride Superbadger. :thumbsup: I enjoyed the read.

I wonder how many cyclists put off doing adventure type trips just because they don't have the latest 'must have' bit of kit? When all you really need is a bike that works and the determination to see it through.

OP
OP
B

Bucky

hi
thank you for all the replies and information,
i want to notch up a few miles before i join in with the burton group.(looking forward to it ) i live in bout 14 miles from burton and work there so would be an option. im really happy that you took the time to let me know thank you.

take care
bucky

Welcome Bucky, :hello:

Keep us posted won't you?

Nice ride Superbadger. :thumbsup: I enjoyed the read.

I wonder how many cyclists put off doing adventure type trips just because they don't have the latest 'must have' bit of kit? When all you really need is a bike that works and the determination to see it through.

Thanks Colly and yes i think theres a few that make all the planning and then back down! Or just think 'my kit isn't up 2 it!' I was more than a little worried because i had no support! But hey it went okay...So glad i did it. My next trip is even madder!:thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Went with the medium pace group, big ride today up to Tissinton through the country "lanes " ( read hills ) , average was down and we stopped a number of times for stragglers but that what the medium pace group is about so we all have fun and get around without getting lost or left behind .

Total mileage of the run was 52 miles , i did 63.6 miles total at a steady 16 mph average , steady enough but we had some fun climbs to get up. this was a good bit ...

http://g.co/maps/yjfef

I was glad i was on the bike with the apex groupset so i could spin up it :biggrin:

Top Bottom