About to begin my cycling commute!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geekinaseat

probably worth mentioning I used to use panniers, very good - you can carry a lot but I didn't like the way the bike felt heavy and sluggish.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Im trying to pay attention but you keep moving the goal posts and I think youre a nobber anyway .
So the £30 bike is not 1k but 1.1k but not really because it was £466 . So you add inflation but don't take into account anything else and blag your wife that that bike is really good so you don't have to spend any money ?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Im trying to pay attention but you keep moving the goal posts and I think youre a nobber anyway .
So the £30 bike is not 1k but 1.1k but not really because it was £466 . So you add inflation but don't take into account anything else and blag your wife that that bike is really good so you don't have to spend any money ?

You're just arguing for the sake of it now. All Kneesup said, was that you can get a good bike secondhand cheap

vickster

Legendary Member
You're just arguing for the sake of it now. All Kneesup said, was that you can get a good bike secondhand cheap
And this is what we have all been telling the OP. We said a £100 Tesco bso would be poor, a cheap new bike

And to have a pannier rack

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru

you're

I don't keep moving the goalposts - I didn't know we were trying to score goals. I think it might be that you're not paying attention or are looking for an argument where there is none.

I rounded to £1k because I couldn't be bothered working out a correct figure. I happen to know that with inflation things are about twice the price they were in 1990 and her bike was about £500 new. As it is, just for you I looked up the original catalogue which has the price written in it and put that figure into a UK inflation calculator. Just for you.

If you want to know more about how the value of money changes over time I suggest you read the article on 'Inflation' on wikipedia. I'd link to it if I thought you'd bother.

So, now we've sorted out the macro-economics, your spelling and my rounding - how does the passage of a relatively short space of time render what was once a pretty good bike a rubbish bike, in your opinion? It's not like we bought a penny farthing or a velocipede. It's a steel framed mountain bike made from double-butted Tange Infinity tubing with perfectly adjusted indexed gearing, original straight wheels with hardly any wear and good brakes.

Oh, and what makes you think that my wife had no say in the purchase and isn't very pleased with the bargain we got? It's 2014 where I live.

kurt909

I can't agree more on against cheap bikes. I bought a £120 toys r us men's bike, I may as well have put £120 down the toilet. It was awful!

KneesUp

Guru
I can't agree more on against cheap bikes. I bought a £120 toys r us men's bike, I may as well have put £120 down the toilet. It was awful!
Absolutely bikes that are cheap new are almost universally bad (and I only say 'almost' because I haven't tried them all, not because I have seen a good one) I got a 'free' 'bike' when I joined a gym once. It was a struggle to give it away.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
With £100 budget and a 2 mile commute I'd scour local papers/supermarket bulletin boards and look to buy something second hand and cheap. If you can get it for under £50 that gives you a £50 budget for spares as it will probably need some, but on a 2 mile flat commute you can get away with an awful lot of 'not quite right' for quite a long time. Just be aware that you won't necessarily be getting the best biking experience out of it. Although a heavy tired bike is going to up your fitness quicker!

I commute with a rucksack because I don't want to put panniers on my bike (mainly for the times I wouldn't be using them) and am potentially irrational that way. I pack the rucksack carefully and have a couple of options depending on what I'm carrying (a little one and a big one). They make your back sweaty, but I sweat like a pig anyway so that doesn't really matter to me. If you don't intend to wash at work (and with a 2 mile commute that wouldn't surprise me at all) then just put a spare shirt in your ruck if it's going to be a problem.

Once you've done the commute for a bit you'll have an idea if biking is something you want to do more of, if it is then save up for something better. There are ways (cycle to work/interest free credit cards and discounts on last years models) to get good bikes for less money if you look at the options. Plus once you know what you are looking at you could still scour the second hand market for something that was more expensive to start with.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
you're

I don't keep moving the goalposts - I didn't know we were trying to score goals. I think it might be that you're not paying attention or are looking for an argument where there is none.

I rounded to £1k because I couldn't be bothered working out a correct figure. I happen to know that with inflation things are about twice the price they were in 1990 and her bike was about £500 new. As it is, just for you I looked up the original catalogue which has the price written in it and put that figure into a UK inflation calculator. Just for you.

If you want to know more about how the value of money changes over time I suggest you read the article on 'Inflation' on wikipedia. I'd link to it if I thought you'd bother.

So, now we've sorted out the macro-economics, your spelling and my rounding - how does the passage of a relatively short space of time render what was once a pretty good bike a rubbish bike, in your opinion? It's not like we bought a penny farthing or a velocipede. It's a steel framed mountain bike made from double-butted Tange Infinity tubing with perfectly adjusted indexed gearing, original straight wheels with hardly any wear and good brakes.

Oh, and what makes you think that my wife had no say in the purchase and isn't very pleased with the bargain we got? It's 2014 where I live.

I think you've dropped your dummy :laugh:

Top Bottom