Accessing a home server from internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have my server (FileZilla Server) up and running on the LAN, but I'd like to be able to access the files on it using ftp from a computer on the internet side of the router. I've got the external ip address of the router already, but on its own using that won't get me through the router to the server. If I understand correctly, the router has to be configured to port forward the request to the local ip address of the server - yes? Can anyone tell me how to configure this? It's a Netgear router.

And is there anything else I need to do?

rusky

CC Addict
You need to set up port forwarding on the router so that port 21 (ftp) is forwarded to the IP address of the filezilla server.

Then, when you point your browser on, for example, your your work PC to ftp://'yourhomeip' the router will send the request to your filezilla server.

Something like this

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101145.asp

Cardiac

Über Member
It probably goes without saying, but be sure to use a unique and impossible to guess username and password combination. The fact that the port is opened makes an attack more likely. Also, in Filezilla you may be able to restrict access to specific folders, or only allow writes to a specific folder which will be safer than allowing free access to everything.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
It probably goes without saying, but be sure to use a unique and impossible to guess username and password combination. The fact that the port is opened makes an attack more likely. Also, in Filezilla you may be able to restrict access to specific folders, or only allow writes to a specific folder which will be safer than allowing free access to everything.

You're right to mention it. I've already got the admin password set to protect the actual server and each user will have their own username and number-letter-case sensitive password. I'm also looking at enabling the SSL/TLS option but haven't got that far as yet. The server does seem to have some defenses built in, but I'm still feeling my way with it so can't be too careful.

Slightly Off topic.... There is another safer and simpler option I tend to use a web based storage system as a store for commonly accessed documents it is free and easy. Also saves all the hassle

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Slightly Off topic.... There is another safer and simpler option I tend to use a web based storage system as a store for commonly accessed documents it is free and easy. Also saves all the hassle

I use Dropbox quite a lot, but out of interest (and for the unlimited filesize aspect) I thought I'd try the FileZilla route. And I've nearly got it working... (see next post!)...

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Well, I've got port 21 sorted - or at least I think I have...

Tried accessing my home server from away from home but although it will allow me to browse and open documents, it won't allow me to save them back to the server. (It will allow this on the local network at home - I've tried it with the same user and password and the same set of permission configurations - full read/write, amend etc - and it let me browse the server, open a file on the client machine, edit the file on the client machine and then save it back to the server.) It's running under Windows both ends and Windows firewall on the server is set to treat FileZilla as an exception.

Anyone suggest what's stopping me saving to the server from a client machine on the internet side?

Edit - solved it. It was the diference between active and passive connections causing the issue. ^_^

Top Bottom