Accident has given new motivation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
Following my accident on the weekend, I've had a bit of a think about my transport situation and if cycling is the way forward for me.
Rather than make me think it's time to get a car and be safe it's actually really made me wanna get more involved.

I've decided that if I get my bike back repaired it's being sold, if it gets written off I'm gonna use the funds (coz the other party WILL be paying up) to get something a bit more serious and start training for Audax and Time Trials etc.
I've been feeling like I've outgrown that bike for a while (just a basic hybrid), I feel strong when riding and I am pretty quick even on that overweight cycle.

I've decided I'm not going to question if I should in fact be doing something I actually really enjoy just because I've been knocked off a bike. Yeah it could have been worse, I could have been seriously injured or whatever. But at the same time - Anything you walk away from should make you stronger.

So I am going to go about getting something lighter, with drop bars, with better components and get on it like sonic!

Anyone else had something similar? Or maybe gone the other way and felt like having to throw in the towel after an incident (that's not a judgement btw)?

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Following my accident on the weekend, I've had a bit of a think about my transport situation and if cycling is the way forward for me.
Rather than make me think it's time to get a car and be safe it's actually really made me wanna get more involved.

I've decided that if I get my bike back repaired it's being sold, if it gets written off I'm gonna use the funds (coz the other party WILL be paying up) to get something a bit more serious and start training for Audax and Time Trials etc.
I've been feeling like I've outgrown that bike for a while (just a basic hybrid), I feel strong when riding and I am pretty quick even on that overweight cycle.

I've decided I'm not going to question if I should in fact be doing something I actually really enjoy just because I've been knocked off a bike. Yeah it could have been worse, I could have been seriously injured or whatever. But at the same time - Anything you walk away from should make you stronger.

So I am going to go about getting something lighter, with drop bars, with better components and get on it like sonic!

Anyone else had something similar? Or maybe gone the other way and felt like having to throw in the towel after an incident (that's not a judgement btw)?

I struggled for months mentally after I was taken out by a van driver last year

But overall , like you, once over it, it's made me a stronger & safer rider ( not that it was my fault , but I did evaluate everything about the way I ride )

Still don't wear a helmet 90% of the time tho ;) :smile:

You may find yourself a little timid when cycling along the area that the incident happened, but stick with it and you'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 1258

I struggled for months mentally after I was taken out by a van driver last year

But overall , like you, once over it, it's made me a stronger & safer rider ( not that it was my fault , but I did evaluate everything about the way I ride )

Still don't wear a helmet 90% of the time tho ;) :smile:

I got taken out by a Ford Focus in 2007, spent three weeks laid up with a severely bruised back, it was about three weeks before I could lay down. I spent a lot of time in that three weeks examining the way I was riding and picking out the faults and bad habits, then working out how to correct them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You've got to get back on.

I was taken out 3 years ago, resulted in an operation back in Feb this year - getting run over was a piece of poop compared to the operation recovery. Now have to take medication for nerve pain for life - the stuff is sh!te, making me unwell, but will I stop riding, will I hell like. :biggrin:

Learn from it, get better at your riding, and build upon it. Still messes with your head, especially when you get close calls. I do avoid riding round the particular roundabout from the direction I did - I still ride it at least once a day (on way to work).

Or you could start worrying that your bike is about to fall to bits every time you ride it. :wacko:

Fuzzball

I was knocked down 2 fridays ago on a roundabout on way to work, the car drivers fault. I went back to work this week, for the same shift with the same weather and I cycled in, apart from it being a bit sore it also scared the crap out of me, anything coming from my left looked like it wasn't going to stop! Well in my head anyway, though I am soo glad i did it, my hybrid was written off by accident and like you I am thinking of upgrading to a road bike with rack mounts rather than another hybrid. I am using my road bike at the minute and everyone at home and work thought i was nuts but i am determined to keep cycling, hopefully it won't take long till i am enjoying the commute again.

Top Bottom