Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike J

Regular
Hi

A car decided to reverse into me today while we were stationery at a set of lights. (She didn't even realise shed knocked me down) I'm ok but my front wheel is a bit buckled, my cycling shoes are a bit torn and my left gear shifter is misaligned/bent on the drops. They've asked to keep it out of the insurance as she is a young driver which I'm ok with in principle, however I'm wondering if there is any advice you can give me on what the process is or what I should do to cover myself should she have a change of heart etc. thanks in advance , Michael

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you a British cycling or CTC member, get their advice (which will be an insurance report).

However, if there was no injury to you, get quotes to fix replace stuff and ask for the cash.

Frankly, go through the insurance, why should you potentially suffer so she keeps it off her record?

OP
OP
M

Mike J

Regular
Unfortunately I'm not a CTC member and have no personal insurance for cycling.

As long as my bike gets sorted I'm not precious about how it's achieved and expect it's possibly less hassle all round to sort it outside. She said she had only passed her test earlier this year and I suppose I'm trying to be understanding and cut her a break. I presume by your post you wouldn't take the same stance as myself?

Are disputes like this possible to sort through car insurance? Would it be treat the same way as if a car crashed into my house?

the thing is doing it off the record , she could wriggle out , doing it properly you would take your bike to be assessed by a professional, i think you will find she is shocked:wacko: by the cost of repairing your bike, let alone replacing your shoes.............. but at the end of the day .......its your call .

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately I'm not a CTC member and have no personal insurance for cycling.

As long as my bike gets sorted I'm not precious about how it's achieved and expect it's possibly less hassle all round to sort it outside. She said she had only passed her test earlier this year and I suppose I'm trying to be understanding and cut her a break. I presume by your post you wouldn't take the same stance as myself?

Are disputes like this possible to sort through car insurance? Would it be treat the same way as if a car crashed into my house?
No, you need separate insurance but you could make use of any legal cover you have with car or home insurance, and take advice

If a car crashed into your house, you would claim against that persons car insurance for damaging your property

You have 6 years to claim, were there any witnesses? Maybe get a quote to repair everything and see what they say, I expect it'll be less than their excess and potential impact on insurance. Guessing £300 for new wheel,new shoes, new shifter?

She should actually report any collision to her insurance regardless of whether making a claim...maybe point that out to her

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get her insurance details before giving her a bill. As what Roadrash said above. When she hears how much it's going to cost she will try to wriggle out of it.

Wetdog

I would inform the police and claim properly through the Insurance.

A bit harsh of me, but here's why............many moons ago I was involved in an accident with a drink driver. Panel damage only, but around £700 worth. He begged and pleaded with me not to involve dibble. Claiming that he would lose his job, his kids and home etc. he had just gained custody of his 2 daughters he claimed.
I felt sorry for him and went his way. I was promised the cash and promptly never received a penny, not ever. Despite calling round his home etc on countless occasions I was done over.
Never ever not even once let someone get away with it.

Hope your ok and get a decent resolution.

Trevor_P

Provided no-one was injured and details were properly exchanged at the scene, there is no need to inform the police. If your intent is to help the young driver out, then ask them before you proceed any further to admit liability for the accident in writing within 24 hours. If they refuse, point out that you are helping them out - which you do not have to do - by not telling their insurance about the accident. If they still refuse to do this, tell them that you will be going through their insurance. Once you have the liability admitted in writing, you have your backup if down the line they pull out of the deal you have made. Get your repair quotes etc etc and good luck.

OP
OP
M

Mike J

Regular
Thanks for the replies and advice. They paid everything they owed and I got my bike back yesterday :smile: fortunately only the bars and wheel needed replacing. The even better news is I now have black bar tape which I am very excited about having ony had grubby white tape before haha! I can stop getting the bus back to work again :smile: happy days!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies and advice. They paid everything they owed and I got my bike back yesterday :smile: fortunately only the bars and wheel needed replacing. The even better news is I now have black bar tape which I am very excited about having ony had grubby white tape before haha! I can stop getting the bus back to work again :smile: happy days!!
That's a nice result. I was about to advise to go through the insurance or at least take Trevor P's advice on a written admission of liability, but it's good to see that there are honest people in the world who'll hold their hands up when they are at fault and won't shirk their duty to compensate.

Black bar tape though? If she'd known you had so little taste...

Top Bottom