Account of riding 130miles on a 1965ish Moulton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonk man

I have posted this on the Moulton forum as well but thought you might like to read about some silly audaxing at the weekend;

Goodness gracious that was knackering :ohmy: but what a laugh..

Just about made it to the start on time due to a gas leak at home... turned out one of the stupid children have left the oven on and not lit it the night before.... he will be back at uni next week thank the lord..

About 40 or so turned up for the Doctor Fosters Spring Clean 207 km Audax and hey there were 3 Moultons, 2 space frames and my Standard. So a challenge was thrown down [ the other guys didn't realise though :rolleyes: ]

Beautiful spring morning and a scenic potter through the edge of the Forest of Dean to Monmouth, Usk then an unusual roller coaster down the canal into Newport. Lots of locks and a huge descent into the industrial areas. Included was a welcome stop for a pint and baked potato at a canal pub.

A horrible bit of main road was dispatched as swiftly as possible before getting onto a series of of road cycle routes and lanes that went on forever but with a tail wind,,.. Oh yeh and another pub stop before the Severn crossing on the M4.

It was a bit chilly going over the bridge but I stopped for a sarnie in the middle and watched the waves going up the river. Shortly after this point I blew up, banana and energy bar to the rescue..

A bit of wildlife spotting east of the bridge, an egret and a red kite..they are getting everywhere..

Made it into Berkley with reserves very low as the weight of the bike was taking its toll.. I stopped for some chips in the town and to put my cold weather clothes on as the temperature was dropping. Grrr the Moulton guys swept past and refused to stop for some chips..

Anyway, revived I took up the chase and caught them and a few others in the Black Shed at Slimbridge, we left at the same time but I pulled away on the rough towpaths.... you see,, the Standard has superior suspension.. .

The rest of the ride was at a steady 15mph, flat roads and cycle tracks, some fun was had around the Gloucester docks, a bit of a criterium feel mixed with cyclocross on the gravelly bits.

Got back to Ashleworth at 8 pm [ where another pint was waiting ] , 12 hours after starting, I was fairly near the back but 30 minutes ahead of the other Moultoneers :ohmy: I think they would have thrashed me over a hilly route as my bike weighs about 35lbs with the bag on the carrier. I wouldn't do a 200 in the mountains this side of June, maybe the Kidderminster Killer in September... Anyone fancy it?

My favourite memory of Saturdays ride.. getting to the top of some big climb before Newport and laughing at the ridiculous silliness of riding a 45 year old rusty wreck up a mountain when I have a titanium tourer in the shed..:biggrin:

Lambchop

Sounds like a remarkable journey! For me, seeing wildlife really makes a ride that extra bit special. Red Kites as you say are getting everywhere, the new sparrow perhaps?!

I remember living near the Moulton Factory in Bradford on Avon when I was a nipper, don't know if it's still there? Nice bloke Alex Moulton. :biggrin:

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Some Moultons were made at the BMC car factory as well apparently, it was rather like riding an Austin 1300 at times.....:biggrin:

Lambchop

So long as it doesn't breakdown and you start hitting it with a bunch of daffodils! Or whatever it was from that 'Fawlty Towers' well known scene..

OP
OP
bonk man

bonk man

Ha, I drove quite a few of those Austins and Morris cars in the mid 80's when there were loads about usually really cheap, good cars generally except in the damp weather. I also had a BMC EA van that I lived in for a few years... what a beast, I certainly wouldn't want to pedal that:biggrin:

Top Bottom