Action of old Campag QR skewers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have some c.1960s skewers with the straight levers, which were apparently NOS (they're immaculate, anyway). Unlike the Shimano skewers I'm used to, they don't have an "over-centre" action and just get stiffer as they're tightened. I haven't had any issues with axle movement but this doesn't inspire as much confidence as a Shimano skewer.

1. Is this normal for the older skewers?

2. Please confirm the little washer goes between the lever body and its helical spring, not between the acorn nut end and its helical spring. That's the way they came and the QR doesn't work well at all with the washer at the other end.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@midlife or @Yellow Saddle you might know best ?

I have some c.1960s skewers with the straight levers, which were apparently NOS (they're immaculate, anyway). Unlike the Shimano skewers I'm used to, they don't have an "over-centre" action and just get stiffer as they're tightened. I haven't had any issues with axle movement but this doesn't inspire as much confidence as a Shimano skewer.

1. Is this normal for the older skewers?

2. Please confirm the little washer goes between the lever body and its helical spring, not between the acorn nut end and its helical spring. That's the way they came and the QR doesn't work well at all with the washer at the other end.
Could you post a picture please so that we can have a look?

midlife

Guru
They are a simple internal cam so just get tighter the further over the lever is pressed. Take it apart and you will see how simple they are :smile:. They perform as well as other internal cam QR, when tight they will keep wheels in chrome dropouts which is the usual challenge.

I'm having mental block over the washer as all there should be is the QR and 2 cone shaped springs...

Is this what we are talking about?
IMGP6342.JPG

midlife

Guru
The straight handle should come with the nut on the other end that has a loop, no loop means GS which had a curved handle

Just had a look and the damn things came with a washer...well at least the Tipo

1968NuovoTipoHubSpareParts_zpsed705674.jpg

Just been to the garage and checked 12 flat bladed QR and no washer! I wonder if we threw them away?

More googling for campag catalogues me thinks lol

midlife

Guru
No washer in this spare parts offering..

23003681103_504631f444_b.jpg

The plot thickens :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I thought it was the Record QR's that came with the curved lever and wire loop. The Nuovo Tipo were straight lever and no wire (as in the diagrams above) Were there GS QR's?

midlife

Guru
I thought it was the Record QR's that came with the curved lever and wire loop. The Nuovo Tipo were straight lever and no wire (as in the diagrams above) Were there GS QR's?

NR levers were flat. It all changed in the 70's when sharp and stabby things had to be changed.....skewer levers all became curved, the front edge of front mechs developed a lip, brake QR levers became domed (as did the nut end of QR's), brake block guides were dipped in plastic and such like.

1006 GS used NR skewers I believe. I should have typed Nuovo Tipo in my post above, sorry

My memory fading memory aside I still can't remember a washer being used on any skewer lol

youngoldbloke

Here's the page from the 67/68 Bike Rider's Aids (my copy would have been from 2 or 3 years earlier, alas no more). Washers are listed for both types

upload_2017-9-24_19-2-16.jpeg

youngoldbloke

I can't remember either. But I do remember the hubs I had at that time (early 60s) were Gran Sport small flange QR, double sided gear/fixed. Double butted stainless spokes, Mavic rims with tubs - on my first 'proper' bike. I think the NT hubs came in later. I bought everything I needed for the bike from THE booklet - the LBS was supplied by the wholesaler.

midlife

Guru
I started about 10 years after you :smile:. My first proper racing wheels were built by Eric Suffill, Osbourne Street in Hull in the early 70's. I bought the best I could afford...Suzue QR hubs on Fiamme rims built with 14-16 double butted chrome spokes. I probably shod them with Barum tubs.

Funnily enough I still have them hanging up in the garage :smile:

Top Bottom