Adjustable stem dimensions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Sorry in advance for what may be stupid questions but am looking to get the correct size of adjustable stem for my Ridgeback x3 to lift me up a bit. Am not sure what size to get. I have 3 questions as I'm away and can't measure the one in the bike:

1 - Stem lengths are listed as, e.g. 90. 110 and 130mm. Is this the length of the whole component from back to front including the loop that the bar clamps are secured to?

2 - Another I'm looking at has the following options:

105/70 clamp 25.4mm or
105/70 clamp 31.8mm or
125/90 clamp 25.4mm or
125/90 clamp 31.8 mm

What does this mean and how do I know which to get?

3. Long shot but does anyone happen to know what dimensions the stock stem on the 2914 Rudgeback x3 dual track is?

Lastly, once I've untangled all that any recommendations for a decent one?

Thanks in advance.

Sharky

Guru
Sorry in advance for what may be stupid questions but am looking to get the correct size of adjustable stem for my Ridgeback x3 to lift me up a bit. Am not sure what size to get. I have 3 questions as I'm away and can't measure the one in the bike:

1 - Stem lengths are listed as, e.g. 90. 110 and 130mm. Is this the length of the whole component from back to front including the loop that the bar clamps are secured to?

2 - Another I'm looking at has the following options:

105/70 clamp 25.4mm or
105/70 clamp 31.8mm or
125/90 clamp 25.4mm or
125/90 clamp 31.8 mm

What does this mean and how do I know which to get?

3. Long shot but does anyone happen to know what dimensions the stock stem on the 2914 Rudgeback x3 dual track is?

Lastly, once I've untangled all that any recommendations for a decent one?

Thanks in advance.

I can understand your confusion. I searched the web for any sizing charts that might explain, but no luck.

Might have some of the answers, so here goes

Q1 stem lengths I think are measured centre to centre
Q2 the 25.4 or 31.8 refers to the diameter of the handlebars. There are other diameters around, but I think these are the two most likely. 31.8 is referred to as oversize and is the current size for most road bikes
Q2 the 105/70 or 125/90 confuses me. Could not find any reference. But am guessing the 105 refers to the stem length I.e. 10.5 cm
And the 70 refers to the the number of degrees that the stem can be rotated through. I.e. 35degrees up/down Could be wrong.

I've used adjustables before, but of course they are a bit heavier and introduce another pivot that can work loose and at best, it will develop an annoying squeak. But good to experiment with.

Before going the adjustable route, can your stem be flipped or are there any spacers above the stem that can be repositioned under the stem?

If you current stem is more or less horizontal, it will probably have a 17 degree offset. When fitted to a bike with a 73 degree head, this will make the normal fitting horizontal and the flip fitting will be pointing up. If you go for one with a larger offset, it will exegurate the extremes. Will both be lower in normal fitting and much higher when flipped. I've just swapped one of mine to a 6 degree offset and in the normal fitting just marginally gives me a higher position.

Good luck and post your findings when you make a change.

Cheers keith

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Thanks Keith.

I have actually spoken to Ridgeback this morning and managed to demistify some of that. The stem on my bike is 110mm which clears that bit up. In terms of those odd numbers they actually represent the length of the stem when flat/same when fully raised. It's a very odd way of representing measurements, certainly without an accompanying explanation.

I have ordered a 125/90 with 31.8 bars so that gives me a stem range of between 90mm and 125.

Hope that helps some others understand too. :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
Thanks. Does clear up those numbers.

Cheers Keith

Ps am an ex merseysider myself. My aviator pic was taken near Lydiate I think. It was a long time ago.

Top Bottom