adjusting brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi

On my road bike, I have noticed the wheel catching the brakes at the same point each time it goes round.

I had this on the front wheel and the LBS messed around with the spokes with a special spanner, played with the calipre and sorted it. (I have the sora brake calipres on a drop handle).

I cannot keep taking it to the bike shop, how can I fix this problem myself and which tools would I require.

Thanks.

spandex

I love Dr D
You need a spoke key If you get one with sizes 14 and 15 on you can not go wrong.

Next find the point where it is starting to rub and mark the spoke with tape and do the same where it stops. If you are looking at the wheel on the side it is rubbing you will need to turn the nipples (the bits where the spokes go into) that are pulling the wheel away from you clockwise but start with the next one on the out side of the tape just turn each one a 8th of a turn. Then check if it is still there do it once more and so on.

As for your brakes they should just reset them self if not there is a screw on each one and on the side it is too close just do a half a turn and pull the brake to see... you may need to unscrew the over side half a turn.

Good luck

gratts

Cheers Spandex, was wondering the same. That was somewhat useful with a poor image of bike spokes in my head :blush:
Is that basically what wheel truing is?

spandex

I love Dr D
gratts said:
Cheers Spandex, was wondering the same. That was somewhat useful with a poor image of bike spokes in my head :blush:
Is that basically what wheel truing is?

It is and it is easy when you get the hang of it.

One over thing that might help is if you put the long tag bit of the tape facing the way the bend goes. This will help if you have more bend and help to get your head round what you are doing. When you have got rid of say 70% of the bend if you tighten up the brakes by the adjuster and redo the wheel you and get it up to 95%+

But do not forget to back off the brakes when you are done:blush:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
chipmonster said:
Thanks, I will buy a spoke key tonight from the LBS and have a go.

Thanks again

A spoke key maybe the cheapest tool in the box, but beware, it can do a lot of damage to your wallet if you get it wrong. Only turn the spoke nipples a quarter turn at a time and check the result. Trueing a wheel is fairly easy once you have practised a few times.

jimboalee

Another trick is to chalk round the entire rim circ'. spin the wheel and let the blocks rub the chalk off.

Then you know where the apex of the run-out is.

Loosen spokes before you tighten for the lateral pull.

This job is best done with the bike upside down in you living room, with you sat on the edge of your arm chair.
NOT in the cold garage. xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A word of caution.

Tighten one spoke and loosen the adjacent spoke - stops you making the wheel egg shaped. Do it slowly, a little at a time !

Randochap

Senior hunter
Better if you have an old wheel to practice on.

spandex

I love Dr D
jimboalee said:
Another trick is to chalk round the entire rim circ'. spin the wheel and let the blocks rub the chalk off.

Then you know where the apex of the run-out is.

Loosen spokes before you tighten for the lateral pull.

This job is best done with the bike upside down in you living room, with you sat on the edge of your arm chair.
NOT in the cold garage. ;):biggrin::biggrin:

I would not do that as you can lose the point of where it was (if you do not know what you are doing)

spandex

I love Dr D
fossyant said:
A word of caution.

Tighten one spoke and loosen the adjacent spoke - stops you making the wheel egg shaped. Do it slowly, a little at a time !

It is not a pro build and
Most of the problems come from not enough tension. FACT

briank

yes, turn the nipple a litlle, check
and so on

If only because clockwise/anticlockwise depends on where you're looking from and the way the spoke/nipple/rim combination works can seem a bit counter-intuitive.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom