Advice buying a mountainbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want to buy a mountainbike that I can use for trail riding "offroad". I know some cheap bikes have a warning that they are not designed for that
How can I decide which is a real mountainbike?
I want to buy a used one, probably hardtail. Is that ok? buying a used and then riding it. (I have 300$ limit)

Brandane

Legendary Member
I want to buy a mountainbike that I can use for trail riding "offroad". I know some cheap bikes have a warning that they are not designed for that
How can I decide which is a real mountainbike?
I want to buy a used one, probably hardtail. Is that ok? buying a used and then riding it. (I have 300$ limit)

I am no expert, especially on mountain bikes, but......
You are quoting your limit in $$, so presumably you are in USA/Canada? US$300 = about UK£250. You should be able to get a reasonable condition USED hard-tail bike for that. Stick with the well known brands such as Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Merida, Scott, etc. and you should be ok as long as it has been cared for to some extent by previous owner(s).
I wouldn't go for new at that price range or you are likely to end up with a Walmart BSO (Bike Shaped Object) type of thing that will probably end up giving you a disappointing view of cycling and might even put you off using it.
Beware of buying used bikes on Gumtree/Ebay etc in case you are buying something that has been stolen (or at least that is a risk here in the UK).
Budget bikes, even from the big brands, will be fitted with very basic suspension forks. So it depends on what sort of use you are going to put it to. Just trails and "off road" I would be tempted to forget suspension as they add weight. Get a hybrid with wide profile tyres. On the other hand if you're going to throw yourself down proper mountains then you might need better quality forks. Only you can work that one out.
Good luck!

Top Bottom