Advice? Cycling for 2 months.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abrooks100

Hi all,
This is my first post after just recently getting the cycling bug.
I recently purchased a Specialized Sirrus Elite 09. I bought the bike from LBS on cycle2work scheme. The initial reason for buying the bike was for training to do C2C and End to End towards the end of 09. Being new to cycling and knowing very little about technicalities of bikes I just went along with the LBS choice of the Sirrus being my best alround option for long distances, carrying stuff and for training on.
After over a month of training now a really have to cycling bug and get out as much as possible 3 - 4 times a week.
I am already physically very fit and love to compete, I am now beginning to wonder if I should have purchased the Allez over the Sirrus as I would like to take part in local time trials, sportives and possible races in the future.

My main problems are that of funds, I cant afford to go out and buy to bikes and I am looking for advice on how I could possibly comprimise.

I believe have have the following options:

- Sell current bike and get an Allez? (not sure if possible with being bought on cycle2work & Allez may not be suitable for longer tour rides.)

- Upgarde my Sirrus Elite ? Currently standard 09 model with clipless pedals and clip on tri bars(trying to achieve a lower position than on flat bars).

- Should I covert Sirrus to Drop Bars although I believe this would be expensive.

- Could I just Upgrade to thinner tyers and put some bar ends on for extra hand placements and be ready to Timetrial/race?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated, many thanks.

Adam

P.S. also if anyone knows of any good Cycling Clubs in the North East near Hartlepool that would welcome a newcomer on a hybrid?:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can't answer most of your questions but you can't sell the bike as it isn't yours... until the end of the agreed period when they probably offer you a small sum to buy it off your employers.

And welcome:smile:

Mothyman

welcome
not sure about the answer but there are some clever fella/ladies here who'll know the answer....i suspect they'll tell you to slowly upgrade bits as you can afford to
cheers

Top Bottom