Advice for 1st bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay70

Hi
looking to buy a 2nd hand bike for round the £200 mark.
Not sure what sort of bike would suit me (for me and the ride to work)
Im 42. and 6ft, 15 stone, looking to lose a few pounds and get fit.
Was thinking of getting a bike to start riding to work
10 mile trip. about 6 miles of country roads (Sheffield - so rough) then city centre dual carriageways.
last time I biked was 28 years ago and was a bmx
not bothered about all the spandex gear - Im a shorts/jeans and t-shirt sort :smile:
not even sure if its going to be too much with my current level of fitness, and perhaps buy a hybrid and knock around local country roads for a bit first....

Any recommendations gratefully received.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wear the padded lycra shorts under your jeans or shorts, make the undercarriage much more at ease

Bike wise, probably a rigid fork flat bar of some sort - enable you to add decent mudguards and a pannier rack

For used deals - look at eBay, Gumtree, classifieds on here (which you'll be able to access once you've got a few posts) - just check that they aren't nicked - gut feel on the seller, ask for a receipt

You can probably find something new for around £200 too - Decathlon, Halfords - Carrera subway very popular, possibly your local bike shop

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_912131_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
My Barossa Monaco cost me about £180 last year. It's exactly the sort of bike that Vickster described - flat bar hybrid with mudguards and a pannier rack, with a lightweight alloy frame. You're bound to find something similar.

Top Bottom