Advice Needed Re-Wheel Build!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

right, so ive got a shimano ultegra hub, 32 holes..........

and im going to buy a 32 hole mavic open pro rim..........

BUT what spokes do i need to purchase? as regards to length? i looked on wiggle and it just threw me!

any advice appreciated, thanks!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
google spoke length calculator, i think sheldons site has one.hth

hubgearfreak

Über Member
when you've got your rim & hub, measure them carefully and enter the details onto this calc. if there's a term such as ERD you don't understand, search sheldonbrown.com
it may also be worth emailing the the suppliers and manufacturers of the rim and hub to find out the definitive values of the measurements you seek.

spa cycles are a good supplier of spokes and may also know what size spokes you need.

http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/

good luck:smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Strongly recommend you take your own measurements and use one of the many calculators available on the internet such as Spocalc or Wheelpro, or use the DT Swiss calculator which has a lot of hub & rim measures built in.

If you are building conventional 3 cross pattern then nominal spoke lengths using measures I have are:

Front: 296.5mm
Rear NDS: 295.5mm
Rear DS:293.9mm

So, IF YOU TRUST THE ABOVE, and I make no guarantees, in practice you'll want 48 x 296 and 16 x 294.

I've got some spare Silver 294 mm DT Swiss Competition (Stainless Double Butted) if you are interested PM me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd agree with measuring the hub & rim - be careful to use a method that your chosen spoke calculator expects (i.e. measuring to centre of flange or edge, etc etc).

Look at what the spoke length calculator expects you to do with calculated lengths that do not correspond exactly with spoke lengths (some will expect you to go to the next size up, some to the next size down). By all means compare the results of different calculators to ensure that you have things about right.

Personally I use Roger Musson's method of measurement and calculator, and then compare against the pre-set values in the DT Swiss calculator.

Top Bottom