Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob windsor

I have been using a MTB for 6 months.
It's time now for a road bike.
I want a carbon frame and a ultegra or similar groupset.
I like the giant tcr advanced 2 .
let me know your views.
You are the experts, I'm wary of company reviews.
I think sometimes they have vested interests.
Be brutally honest as I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Rob

Noodley

Have a look at Planet X website, they have an Ultegra build which looks good value at 1000 quid.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk..._Ultegra_SL____SPECIAL_OFFER_-_From__999.html

Big John

Guru
I've got a carbon best bike. Are you absolutely sure you want carbon? It's a free country but I wouldn't go for carbon again. If you come off, which can happen if you train in a group or race, then carbon can crack. You have to really give it a close examination before getting back on. Yes, they're light. Yes, they feel nice. But I'm on my second frame now as the first one broke after a crash. Sorry to put a downer on your dream but that's my honest opinion for what it's worth.

OP
OP
R

rob windsor

A friend of mine advised me to go for carbon for lightness. If not what would you go for. I'm interested in views on groupsets and frames.

Noodley

rob windsor said:
A friend of mine advised me to go for carbon for lightness. If not what would you go for. I'm interested in views on groupsets and frames.

What kind of riding you planning on doing?

If you are not sure that's fine, but if you have a specific aim it might help to determine what to suggest.

An alternative is to go top-end alloy for the frame and invest in a really good pair of carbon forks and seatpost. The frame will be as fast as Carbon but not as smooth but the two additions will minimise this..

Don't forget that performance IMHO is 40% frame and 40% wheels so leave yourself with enough money for the latter.

Top Bottom