Advice on crankset replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mezza86

Regular
Im trying to replace my crankset which is a triple SR Suntour 42-34-24 square taper. My issue is trying to find the ideal replacement as there is a sea of varieties out there online. Upon returning my last halfords order due to it not being a square taper, im wondered apart from the tooth count and BB fitting which is obvious, what else would I need to look out for that would hinder its use for my bike (Carrera) and if possible could someone point me in the right direction of an ideal replacement. Cheers!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Here you go

You’ll want to know the length of the crank arms on your current Suntour crankset, so you can replace with same length. Length may be etched on inside (as faces frame) of crank near where pedal attaches.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b2s109p0/Drivetrain-and-gears/STRONGLIGHT/Chainsets

Look at the triple options.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Here you go

You’ll want to know the length of the crank arms on your current Suntour crankset, so you can replace with same length. Length may be etched on inside (as faces frame) of crank near where pedal attaches.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b2s109p0/Drivetrain-and-gears/STRONGLIGHT/Chainsets

Look at the triple options.
Thanks man ill take a look.. does the BB length matter btw? Ive seen it mentioned alot on multiple pages saying "works with eg 75mm BB" etc, i figured its attatching to the outside of the bike so why would it matter.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
BB length is about chain ring alignment, matching derailleur movement, and the chain rings also clearing frame. So yes it matters. Spa are pretty good at advising correct length if you ring up, though I believe they state (On website) the right length for each chainset.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
BB length is about chain ring alignment, matching derailleur movement, and the chain rings also clearing frame. So yes it matters. Spa are pretty good at advising correct length if you ring up, though I believe they state (On website) the right length for each chainset.
Ooh right, I never realised that. So ill also need to measure the length of my BB then to make sure it's compatible. I'll have a look though but Spa's triple cranksets seem to be pretty limited compared to others. But ill look.

Top Bottom