Advice on getting ill right before a race - help?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carolinefaz

Hi,

I am new to cycling and will be doing a 100k (64 miles ish) in 2.5 weeks time for a fundraiser. I have a few questions I thought someone with a bit of experience might possibly help me with?!

I have been ill with a bug for a week now so haven't been able to train - I was doing quite well but haven't gone further than just over 30 miles. I'm not sure how to continue with my training now as am worried I have lost momentum - any advice?

Also - I have just been wearing trainers but keep getting tingly feet. Def not the trainers as I am trained in fitting - but am wondering about clip ins or those ones you just pop your toes into - or is it too close to switch now?

It isn't a race as such - I would just like to finish in one piece - ideally in less than 8 hours before the morning rush hour.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks
Caroline

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't worry about taking a week off, you will recover quickly once you're over the bug. But don't do anything for the three days before the ride; your body needs time to rebuild after exercise.

Tingly feet is a problem for many cyclists and cycling-specific shoes with rigid soles might help to spread the load away from the balls of your feet. However this is a big move forward in terms of your cycling experience and kit and you need time to try different shoes then decide on a clip system. Have a look at some Shimano SPD shoes, they are pretty comfortable and you could start with your existing flat pedals then fit the SPD cleats later. With SPDs the cleat is recessed into the sole so you can walk easily.

The best advice I can give for your 64 miler is: (assuming you're riding a mountain bike) fit some narrow smooth tyres and pump them up as hard as possible. Take some energy bars as well.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If you can ride 30 miles then you should be fine with 64. Given it is only 2.5 weeks away I wouldn't try and change now with a new pedal / shoe system. The stiffer the sole the better to avoid "hot foot".

I ride with SPD's pedals and still get hot foot but normally only on rides over 5 hours

OP
OP
C

carolinefaz

Thanks guys. I think I'll stick to my trainers for next few weeks - maybe just switch to my more structured trainers. I have a hybrid commuter bike so not as heavy as a mountain thankfully.

Just a last one - I was planning on trying to do about 40/50 miles this weekend and then tapering it off - although the training plan says to do 55 miles 7 days before - what would you do, knowing how long it takes to recover?

Also - sorry lots of questions! - but how often and how long would you break for at the actual race? There are break severy 15/25km which I will def take advantage of - I want to have a good rest but not get too comfy. Any advice?

And - any fave energy bars?

Thanks so much! C

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would possibly suggest a touring shoe but don't go clipless yet. The soles on trainers aren't stiff enough, and place pressure on the wrong part of your foot.

lulubel

Über Member
Are you usually a runner? (Some of your comments made me think you might be.)

If you are, you might find doing your shoes up looser for cycling will help with the tingly feet problem. I cycle in support shoes (Brooks Adrenaline GTS) because I'm badly knock kneed and need the support even on the bike, and I have to make a conscious effort to not do the laces too tight for cycling.

Personally, I find my support shoes plenty stiff enough for several hours on the bike.

OP
OP
C

carolinefaz

Elmer Fudd - Is a touring show a stiffened trainer that doesn't need special peddles? Any brands you might recommend? When you say clipless - is that where you just cycle on those tiny peddles and clip in?

lulubel - No - not a runner but I used to work in the industry and play tough rugby so do wear trainers a lot and have a mix of cushioned/structured ones etc so will try looser lacing. I will look at those brooks ones as well - and yes I overpronate like you do!

lulubel

Über Member
lulubel - No - not a runner but I used to work in the industry and play tough rugby so do wear trainers a lot and have a mix of cushioned/structured ones etc so will try looser lacing. I will look at those brooks ones as well - and yes I overpronate like you do!

I wouldn't go out and get a pair of Adrenalines on the off chance they might help. The last pair I bought cost £80. I wear them for running and they're only good for 300 miles or so, so I cycle in my latest pair of retired running shoes. Any support shoes with the hard section in the midsole should be OK for cycling.

Garz

Squat Member
I wouldn't advise on 'getting ill' before a race however I wish you well for a speedy recovery! ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you've got good basic bike fitness, then 64 miles shouldn't be impossible.
Deffo don't try and train while you're ill, or unhappiness will ensue!!
A far as stops go - take every opportunity to eat and drink, but don't stop for too long. 5 mins is plenty. Equally, don't flog yourself into the ground. It's supposed to be fun, after all.
Enjoy it!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom