Advice on upgrading my brakes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Hi all,

I have a pretty standard road bike (£500 genisis aether 10), and it's brakes are okay but not that great...though i have been spoilt by having disc brakes on my last bike.

Anyway, the brakes are Tektro R316A 57mm...and does anyone have any recommendations that would be a worthwhile upgrade?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If you are on Tektro oem pads, new SwissStop or Kool Stop pads might well deliver enough improvement without changing the brakes.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
+1 on changing the pads, switching to Koolstop (especially salmon for the wet), will probably make a massive difference.

I also found a noticeable chane when I upgraded the calipers to Shimano 105, there was a lot less "slop" in the calipers compared to the unbranded (but I suspect Tektro) units I had before. May not have improved outright stopping power, but did improve the brake feel/controlability.

+1 for pads, however Tektro calipers are not noted for their performance and you would see a marked improvement with 105 or similar calipers as well as the improved pads. If your budget will only cover pads change them now, if it will cover calipers and pads you might as well do both :thumbsup:

If you change to Shimano calipers I'd still change the pads... The standard Shimano pads are not great either, they tend to chew through rims quickly.
I'd certainly agree with that which is why I said change the calipers and pads budget permitting. If it was me doing this and changing everything I'd stick the brand new Shimano pads on the Tektro calipers and whack them on fleabay :thumbsup:

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
Tektro calipers are usually fine and I don't think you'd get much bang for your buck swapping the calipers, the pads and proper setup will make the biggest difference. Tektros get a bad rap because the factory pads are rubbish. Also you mention the reach is 57mm? 105 calipers probably won't reach far enough as they are short reach 39-49mm. Shimano make the R450 and Tektro makes a few models in that medium reach 49-57mm size.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm wondering if the kool stop will fit my felt. Spec just says they're dual pivot. They look identical to the 105's tho. Need to do something, the brakes are rubbish!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm wondering if the kool stop will fit my felt. Spec just says they're dual pivot. They look identical to the 105's tho. Need to do something, the brakes are rubbish!

Probably be absolutely fine.... but if not, I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here will buy Shimano compatible Kool-Stops off you for a small reduction against whatever the current lowest online price is.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Probably be absolutely fine.... but if not, I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here will buy Shimano compatible Kool-Stops off you for a small reduction against whatever the current lowest online price is.

When I replaced to pads on the crosstrail it was a revelation! Currents on the felt are cartridge type so I'll give it a go with some salmons

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
With road cartridge pads the Shimano fitting is the de facto standard so I'd be pretty confident they'd fit the same pads, you can pick them because they have a tiny allen screw that keeps the pad in place. The only other standard is the Campagnolo fitting (which there are two of afaik), which is only really on Campagnolo brakes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
if your bike is fitted with 57 mm reach calipers then it is unlikely that standard reach brakes like the 105 will fit.
Shimano do a 105/Ultegra level caliper with long reach .. R650 (IIRC), or the cheaper R450 is more Sora/Tiagra level.

Explanation of reach and how to measure can be found a little way down this page.

Reach is how far down the calliper arms can go.
If the bike has space for large tyres and 'guards then the pads need to 'reach' a lot further down from the mounting bolt to the rim, than on a bike that can only fit 25c or less tyres.

Top Bottom