Advice on wheel replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobin

Regular
Hi

I am currently restoring a Raleigh Roadster which has a Sturmey Archer , 3 speed gear and dynamo dated 1953 fitted in the rear wheel , the gears and dynamo are all in working order , all the spokes look in good condition but the rim is badly rusted and I have found a crack in the rim and there are probably more but I haven't bothered looking as I now know the rim is US .
So what are my options ?
Get a professional to rebuild it ,
Have a go myself ,
or find a replacement
This is my first attempt at restoration and new to cycling as an adult . Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated and any idea of costs .

Thanks Bob

robsa

Über Member
Hi Bob.
Id have a go at it if I was you, i havent tried myself but there are guys on here who will give you their expertise in wheelbuilding if you get in a tangle with it. My advice is take photos as you go along. Lots of photos.
What kind of rim is it? Westwood, westrick or endrick?

OP
OP
Bobin

Bobin

Regular
Thanks for the reply , I probably will have a go , I will have to do some research about the type of rim .

Bob

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
@Moderators , could this thread be transferred from the Classifieds section to the general-purpose Classic and Vintage one?
There may be others, e.g. the Tensor cycles thread, which might benefit from a similar transfer; I know it's a bit of an imposition, but it might be worthwhile checking every new thread in here to see whether it really belongs elsewhere?

Top Bottom