Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dean023

Hi. I just going through a mid life crisis and have decided to cycle round all the premiership football clubs next feb totaling around 550 miles in 9 days. Nothing spectacular about that i know, however, given that at the moment i don't have a bike and have a very limited budget and i need to start training asap as i'm 40 over weight and very unfit!

I'm doing this with my sons and need to know whether their bog standard mountain bike would be up to the journey and if i bought one which type of bike should i go for

I'm looking to do my training around rutland water which is 18 mile as this would give me realistic conditions but is not all roads.

Can you give me any advice - apart from your mad and don't do it. (as I can't back out know as were already taking sponsors for the charity chosen)

How many miles can an average unfit person do per hour / day without killing themselves?

thanks in advance
Deano

OP
OP
D

dean023

Thanks for that - thankfully my wife is following us in a car for safety and so we haven't got to carry any excess baggage (i've got enough of that any way!) how would this type be whilst i'm training off road?

yello

That's a very attainable goal. Your training is good I reckon, try and make it a couple of circuits - or ride to and from Rutland Water?? - and that'd be better.

If you can lock out the suspension - or at least stiffen it - on your mountain bike then I reckon it'd do fine. Maybe fit narrower tyres for the actual event.

As to your last question; it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. It depends on a number of factors; age, how unfit is unfit, terrain, bike, weather, etc etc etc... but at a guess I reckon you should be able to manage 30 mile a day without lasting damage... so you've got to get used to doing around double that for your venture.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
D

dean023

You might also want to consider the time it will take you. You're looking at aroudn 60 miles per day with that schedule, and that's without a day off. If you're wanting to stop at the clubs for any length of time then that's pushing it I think.

Not planning to stop just enough time to take pic and hopefully collect some signed merch. Hopefully after 10 months of training it might be possible.

I've just done the route via a car journey but this might not be the most direct is there anything that will map the journey more accurately via cycle?

OP
OP
D

dean023

yello said:
That's a very attainable goal. Your training is good I reckon, try and make it a couple of circuits - or ride to and from Rutland Water?? - and that'd be better.

If you can lock out the suspension - or at least stiffen it - on your mountain bike then I reckon it'd do fine. Maybe fit narrower tyres for the actual event.

quote]

Cheers Yello,

I'm intending to start with one lap and then increase to two and like you say then to go to and from rutland with laps round.

I'm looking at being in the saddle around 8hrs a day so we have to ave 8 mph is this realistic or do I need to book more holiday! lol
(if that 101 yr old can do the London marathon Than i'm sure i can average 8mph?)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
With a bit of practice an average of 12mph should be more realistic, but start slow and build by over time.

As to buying a bike, I would suggest that you find a good local bike shop (LBS) and try riding a few bikes in your price range. (If they won't let you ride the bike on the road, then walk away and never go back) Then buy the bike that feels the best, don't feel that you have to get a road bike with drops, there are hybrids which are flat barred road bikes which suit many people better.

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dean023

Hairy Jock said:
With a bit of practice an average of 12mph should be more realistic, but start slow and build by over time.
Good luck.

Thanks for that, at least it looks achieveable with a bit of dedication and gradual increasing of the miles

EmGee DK

I would not recommend 18 miles for your first time out. You have 10 months so why dont start up slow to avoid both injuries and lack of motivation because you feel sore. The first month you should only ride every second day or so.

In the first week I would go 10 miles the first 2 times and the full 18 miles on the third. Add approximately 10% to your weekly total for the following week. If you do that you should be pedaling 500 miles in 30 weeks - or so :laugh: Any which way there is a lot to be said about how to get in shape for your project. But I would still claim that for starters easy does it. You have plenty of time getting in form for the trip. Dont overdo it!

As for the bike I would choose a hybrid as well. When you say limited budget a good second hand bike would easily do the trick. If you know what to look for that is and which size you need. Size does matter. :ohmy:

Good luck and keep us posted on how everything is progressing.

OP
OP
D

dean023

mickle said:
How old are your sons?

eldest is 15 and intends to do it all with his friend, youngest is 12 and will only do some of it although he insists he wants to do it all.

thanks to all for advice it is a real help.

I do intend to do short trips before going to rutland water and i will gradually build up bit by bit. any tips on the right clothing and whats the best type of saddle as i dare say that will be the worst thing.

Progress report - In first few days we have taken over £350.00 in sponsorship and permission to do a collection in a local shopping centre two weeks before event. I just can't wait to get in the saddle to start training!

Top Bottom