Advice to get me started on my Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Hey all,

I am looking to start commuting to work 5 days a week at 16 miles each way. The commute is all on roads or cyclepaths with only a few big hills along the route. I currently have access to a Hybrid bike that I will be using to get me started however I wish to cut my travel time down as much as possible and therefore am looking for some advice on getting a new bike.

Note: I will be purchasing the bike and all the safety gear through the cycle to work scheme so have up to £1000 to spend. However I would like to keep the costs down to around £500-£600 if possible.

What road bike would be a good starter bike that also has the ability to attach panniers and lights etc? I don't want to get a road bike then have no way to carry my work uniform :P

I have looked at the Triban 3 that people have mentioned on these forums, however I am unaware if this can take panniers and if I could get better for a bit more, which I may aswell do as i'm getting a tax free loan to do so :biggrin:

Many Thanks for any help,

Monk

kedab

Veteran
oooh...well, i reckon you'll find that the general consensus of opinion on here will guide you towards the B'Twin Triban 3

it iss, apparently, very highly rated as lots of bang for your buck - i wouldn't go against that opinion either, i just don't like them cos they're red...which is a perfectly reasonable thing not to like. yes, yes it is.

kedab

Veteran
oooh...well, i reckon you'll find that the general consensus of opinion on here will guide you towards the B'Twin Triban 3 <<< see, you've already mentioned it in your own post...you can deffo stick a rack and panniers on that bad boy

it iss, apparently, very highly rated as lots of bang for your buck - i wouldn't go against that opinion either, i just don't like them cos they're red...which is a perfectly reasonable thing not to like. yes, yes it is.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I got a giant defy 4 on c2w and its a cracking bike for the money.

kedab

Veteran
A decent back pack would go well with the bikes mentioned to carry your work stuff etc. Then you wouldn't need panniers.

+1 - i only ever ride with a backpack when i commute but then i'm lucky enough to have proper changing room with lockers and showers and stuff at my work so i can just leave a change of clothes and towels and stuff in there.

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
+1 - i only ever ride with a backpack when i commute but then i'm lucky enough to have proper changing room with lockers and showers and stuff at my work so i can just leave a change of clothes and towels and stuff in there.

My problem with backpacks is that I need to carry 4 meals with me to help keep up the calories that i'll burn with all this cycling. I have a hard enough time putting on weight as it is :P

kedab

Veteran
4 meals? goodness...16 miles in and 16 miles back every day might burn say...200 calories a pop but if you need to eat the contents of the fridge after a ride then that's fair enough:thumbsup:

CommuterBen

Regular
I've just bought a triban 3 and you have plenty of room for panniers and I'm 99% sure there are wholes to fit them at the rear as well! It's defiantly a bike to consider!

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
4 meals? goodness...16 miles in and 16 miles back every day might burn say...200 calories a pop but if you need to eat the contents of the fridge after a ride then that's fair enough:thumbsup:

I cycle 20 miles at work on patrol most days so im looking at around 50 miles a day :P Will look more at the Triban 3 and keep an eye out at the Southampton store to get one in stock :biggrin:

Top Bottom