Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

webby03

Hi
I now have bike (Trek 7300) and am starting to attempt to increase my fitness, having done very little execise for several years.
The plan is to take the bikes to Ireland (County clare) at the end of July, for a nice easy tour only about 20miles a day (100 miles over 5 days), any recomendations gratefully recieved.
Having started with weekend rides of 10-20 miles, this week managed 28 miles on sunday, 5 miles Monday, and 8 miles Wed. i know that for a lot of you this is nothing but for an unfit 48 year old it is a LONG way !!!!!

This is where you can help me, I was getting a pain in my knee so have raised the seat, this seems to have helped except as soon as I hit an incline (it can be the slightest incline) and my knees start to acne. Is this just my unfitness or is my position still wrong.

Next how do you all deal with GNATS, lovely ride along tow path yesterday, except it was like riding through a gnat storm.

Thanks

gbb

Legendary Member
Its difficult to nail it down webby. It could be a problem with your knees, position on the bike, general weakness until you build muscle or maybe overdoing it too early.
28 miles on a hybrid is quite ok BTW ;) Chunkier tyre etc make it harder work, so you've done ok.
My knees used to play up a bit early on (at 42) but i was a 'masher'...high gear, giving it all i could.
Then i started spinning more to ease the knees and over a day or two, it subsided.
Then, as you spin more, you gain strength without hurting the knees...and before you know it, you're going just as fast spinning as you did mashing (i'm speaking about myself of course)

Are you a masher webby ? ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Gnats! Great. Wear glasses and keep your mouth closed........... unless of course you need the protein. There's loads on my ride to work. They feel great when they get into your helmet vents as well!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Small rides on a regular basis. Then increase speed and distance as you get fitter. If possible build it into your day - e.g. commute.

therams

My knees used to hurt quite a lot, until I got SPDs then no problems since.

It could always have been my increased fitness though (not saying I am fit, but I am fitter)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cubist said:
Gnats! Great. Wear glasses and keep your mouth closed........... unless of course you need the protein. There's loads on my ride to work. They feel great when they get into your helmet vents as well!

Invest in a Buff, or one of the copycats:

http://www.sportingtriangle.co.uk/acatalog/Buffshop_Intro.html

Multipurpose - scarf, bandana, hat. Wear it around the neck and pull up over nose and mouth bandit style when you see a cloud approaching.

just4fun

I get pain in my right knee as a result of an old rock climbing injury when cycling any incline, i wear a knee support which helps. buy it could be anything as i dont know your knees.
have a fantastic time in Ireland and dont forget the camera!

OP
OP
W

webby03

Hi thanks for the advice
Think the the knee pain is possibly due to me 'mashing' rather than 'spinning', so will try to concentrate and spin more .

Invest in a Buff, or one of the copycats:
great idea, just need to decide which one ;)

Randochap

Senior hunter
Yes, do spin, rather than mash.

It is also a fallacy that wider tyres are harder to push. They are often easier. I have 42mm tyres on this bike and they are very fast. Tyre speed/rolling resistance is dependant on construction and road surface. A well-made tyre will outperform a badly constructed tyre on all surfaces. A wider tyre with lower pressure will outperform a narrower, high pressure tyre on anything but the smoothest surface. A narrower tyre only comes into its own at very high speeds, due to wind resistance advantages. Most of us can't push any tyre to those speeds.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Welcome Webby. I do feel a little jealous of your forthcoming trip to that wonderful part of the world. I have never cycled there, but I do know it very well. Be sure to stop in Doolin for a night or six and give my regards to McGanns. I (mis)spent some of the best nights of my life in that fine hostelry.

Top Bottom