After getting comfortable riding a recumbent ... first impression once getting back on a regular bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

I find a lot less to stir my aggression while riding a recumbent compared with the disrespect you tend to get from other road users on a conventional bike, though I didn't get as much of that as some posters seem to get. Perhaps I'm just lucky not to live in a large town or city. That sort of thing is more likely to spoil my day than other road users'.

I don't see crashing as a regular feature to be accepted. I try and avoid it as much as possible. On the other hand, in life, shoot happens and if you don't end up with permanent damage you tend to absorb the experience and do better next time. When I was younger I could bounce. Now that I'm ancient, not so much.

I'm not particularly aggressive but I'm not passive either. I claim my road space but know when to back off too. Being in the right is no consolation if you end up under some motorised bozo's wheels.

Being assertive is more likely to give yourself and others a good day's experience on a bike as in many other spheres of life than being passive, aggressive, or passive-aggressive.

Do you think drivers behave differently around recumbent riders? Perhaps they get more confused/amused rather than annoyed? Perhaps not knowing what they're seeing makes them think they should be more careful just in case (they might think it's for disabled people, for example)?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Perhaps they think if someone's crazy enough to ride around on one of those things, better not pee them off, who knows what they might do in return. Or maybe fear of the unknown. What is it? I dunno. Better give it loadsa room then.

D

Deleted member 121159

Perhaps they think if someone's crazy enough to ride around on one of those things, better not pee them off, who knows what they might do in return. Or maybe fear of the unknown. What is it? I dunno. Better give it loadsa room then.

That's funny, but I've never ridden one (but have always wanted to try) so I don't know what it's like to ride one in traffic!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Not really the thing for traffic carving, but you're bound to have to deal with traffic sometimes.

Despite my early apprehensions about traffic when I first learned to ride one, once you are confident about starting and stopping, it turns out to be no big deal. Everyone gives you so much space! As long as you give signals in plenty of time in slow moving traffic other road users just let you in. If you have something more performance orientated, which probably means a higher bottom bracket, then constant starting and stopping can get a bit wearing as you have to get your foot a long way up to the pedal. Conversely, some recumbents are so low that you could just put a hand down when you stop, with your feet remaining on the pedals ready to go.

As for trikes, you can just roll up to the lights and just stop. You might even have a parking brake. No need to put hands, feet or anything down.

Of course, if you don't live in rural Cheshire, as I do, then your traffic experience might be a bit different.

Last edited:

grldtnr

Do you think drivers behave differently around recumbent riders? Perhaps they get more confused/amused rather than annoyed? Perhaps not knowing what they're seeing makes them think they should be more careful just in case (they might think it's for disabled people, for example)?

Not really the thing for traffic carving, but you're bound to have to deal with traffic sometimes.

Despite my early apprehensions about traffic when I first learned to ride one, once you are confident about starting and stopping, it turns out to be no big deal. Everyone gives you so much space! As long as you give signals in plenty of time in slow moving traffic other road users just let you in. If you have something more performance orientated, which probably means a higher bottom bracket, then constant starting and stopping can get a bit wearing as you have to get your foot a long way up to the pedal. Conversely, some recumbents are so low that you could just put a hand down when you stop, with your feet remaining on the pedals ready to go.

As for trikes, you can just roll up to the lights and just stop. You might even have a parking brake. No need to put hands, feet or anything down.

Of coure, if you don't live in rural Cheshire, as I do, then your traffic experience might be a bit different.

I have been riding my recumbent trike on & off for over 30 years, on the 3rd one now, not much experience with other configurations of recumbent.
But it's my experience that you are given extra room when riding., especially if in a group of cyclists , I think it's a mix of, WTF is that! and is that a disabled rider?
Often when I do dis mount the trike , people do expect me to be disabled and are surprised I am not,( actually I do have some mobility problems ,but nothing extensive).
It's encouraging to know not all motorist are cycle blind, but annoying that if I am in a upwrong,that risks are taken by drivers
I'd say, riding recumbent,you are inherently safer ,because the drivers don't know what it is ,so take caution.
I do live in heavily trafficked South East Essex, and plan where I rode accordingly, but sometimes ride through busy Southend 'city' streets, only because i have to.
The key point , I think is to ride defensively, claim your command position, and use it, if traffic is busy, it's not moving any faster than you are on a recumbent, so your not holding it up.
But you do need to be aware & alert.

The country definitely needs more LERTS !

Here in Thailand, I ride one of three regular bikes for a morning jaunt, and in the evening either my trike or LWB. This gives me a level of variety, and all are equally enjoyable. I'm fortunate in that a couple of minutes ride from my house I have a canal track (paved) that runs for about 5k.

When in the UK I ride several regular bikes, but have yet to go 'bent back there. Not ruling it out completely, just that it doesn't appeal, especially the part getting through traffic to the more quiet towpaths. I have a future project in mind to build here, that may just be suitable for back there, but will have to wait and see.

OP
OP
PGM1

PGM1

Regular

Of course, if you don't live in rural Cheshire, as I do, then your traffic experience might be a bit different.

I typically stick to the trails where possible as the bike is quite capable off-road, but when in traffic I do have the advantage of being at a similar eye level as other drivers, which is not only safer but usually results in a chit chat with drivers at stop lights. When stopped, I usually have both feet on the ground or one on the ground and one on the pedal for a quick start. The electric motor (and a little throttle) sure makes starting and clearing traffic easier, especially when starting up on hills. I am aware that throttles are banned on some trails, but I argue that when used responsibly, a throttle is a godsend to gain stability and control when starting from a stop.

rydabent

Veteran
I felt like I was up high, and ready to go over the handle bars at any time.

Top Bottom