After the Olympics...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Chris Hoy seems to be the name most often mentioned in the media.

The Tour of Ireland is being advertised on Ch 4 (was this always in the line? or is it as a result of the British Cyclists Olympic success?).

And I've heard it mentioned (don't know how much substance there is to it), there's the possibility of an all British Pro Cycling team.

So, could the track success be transfromed into road success? (Assuming all British cyclists wanted to be a part of it and were available). I suspect that Cavendish would be the choice as a sprinter over Hoy (just because he rides with a road team now). Wiggins and and Geraint Thomas despite their track success don't seem to have had many wins between them on the road. Then there's Millar, I can't remember the last time I saw him win a TT.

I seem to be getting a little bit negative which wasn't my intention. I'm just wondering how realistic it would be to have a British Team, and who would be in it. Would the aim be to bring immediate results, or would it be a publicity/development squad hoping to find the talent in the UK.

What do you think?

Coverage of the ToI was being talked about when the TdF was on (in fact, does anyone know when and where the coverage is?). Not sure how Hoy would translate to a road team, does he have the legs for it? And would you seriously bump Cav (4 stages TdF) for any sprinter in the world? Millar won a TT stage in the Vuelta last year iirc and, with all due respect, Wiggins and Thomas are talented domestiques in a road context.
I think we've got the riders for a good national road team but it depends on how the track program translates into road racing.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Chuffy said:
And would you seriously bump Cav (4 stages TdF) for any sprinter in the world?

Not at all. I was alluding to what I've heard during the Olympics coverage :

Hoy is the fastest sprinter around at the moment.
Great Britain is the most successfull cycling nation of all time.

Nothing wrong with those statements if you realise they refer to track cycling.

Top Bottom