After wheelset with 126mm hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
Does anybody know where to find a 7 speed wheelset 126mm cassette hub?

I used to see them on ebay but it seems they have all gone

Thanks in advance

tyred

Legendary Member
Have a look on Parkers Of Bolton website. I got a wheel set in that spacing before Christmas for a bike I was fixing for someone else but that was with a thread on freewheel. If all else fails, a thread on freewheel hub can be easily respaced into any size you like and Shimano 7 speed freewheels are cheap.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Have a look on Parkers Of Bolton website. I got a wheel set in that spacing before Christmas for a bike I was fixing for someone else but that was with a thread on freewheel. If all else fails, a thread on freewheel hub can be easily respaced into any size you like and Shimano 7 speed freewheels are cheap.

Thanks for the info. I just had a quick look but they all seem to be 130mm

I have just completed the conversion of a Reynolds 351 frame into a single speed bike. I had some old 7 sped wheels (126mm hubs) which fitted perfectly and got a really good chain line. However, I'd like alloy wheels really hence the need for some 126mm hub based hubs. Maybe a freewhel would also be ok for what I need as long as it's 126mm

tyred

Legendary Member
Thread on freewheel hubs have a large spacer between the locknut and the bearing cone which is usually covered by the freewheel block when using a multi-speed freewheel. This spacer can be easily removed and cut down to size if the OLD is too wide for the frame. Just make sure you cut it square.

For a single speed conversion using this type of hub, what I would do is to replace the spacer with washers and put the BMX freewheel or track sprocket on the hub and put the wheel into the frame. Check your chainline, it will most probably be off to the left hand side. Remove some of the washers from the drive side and put them on the left, ideally between the locknut and the cone. Check chainline again. Make further adjustments if necessary. When you have the chainline correct, tighten the locknuts on both sides and ensure the bearing adjustment is correct. Put the wheel into the frame and then re-dish the wheel. It will almost certainly have to be pulled to the driveside so it is central in the frame. Start at the valve hole and work your way around the wheel, making small quarter turn adjustments on each spoke as you go.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Thread on freewheel hubs have a large spacer between the locknut and the bearing cone which is usually covered by the freewheel block when using a multi-speed freewheel. This spacer can be easily removed and cut down to size if the OLD is too wide for the frame. Just make sure you cut it square.

For a single speed conversion using this type of hub, what I would do is to replace the spacer with washers and put the BMX freewheel or track sprocket on the hub and put the wheel into the frame. Check your chainline, it will most probably be off to the left hand side. Remove some of the washers from the drive side and put them on the left, ideally between the locknut and the cone. Check chainline again. Make further adjustments if necessary. When you have the chainline correct, tighten the locknuts on both sides and ensure the bearing adjustment is correct. Put the wheel into the frame and then re-dish the wheel. It will almost certainly have to be pulled to the driveside so it is central in the frame. Start at the valve hole and work your way around the wheel, making small quarter turn adjustments on each spoke as you go.

Re-dishing a wheel it's not what I had in mind for a singlespeed - I love the simplicity of singlespeeds so I think I will stick with cassete hubs :biggrin:

Thanks for the advise though, otherwise I could have the mistake of buying freewheel based hub......

Top Bottom