Aggressive Transit Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Celerie

This morning I had my first incident that I'm tempted to report. I was driving along this road http://maps.google.c...222.24,,0,12.06 at about 9:30 this morning at which time there is a fair amount of traffic on it. No headwind, a slight downhill and no panniers meant I could keep up with the line of traffic doing 25mph in what is a 30mph zone.

As I'm following the traffic I'm holding primary so I don't find myself in a dangerous situation. Unfortunately Mr Transit Driver behind decides to put me in one anyway. As soon as the van in front of me begins extending the gap between myself and him to just under a couple of seconds I revert back into the cycle lane only to have the driver behind me agressively cut across me, swinging into the cycle lane in front of me and then back across. I've no doubt it was deliberate and feel it would be helpful to him and future cyclists if he got some sort of warning. As a note I was still carrying a fair amount of speed and only one other car came past me. As he turned off at a roundabout I then found myself behind the Transit but couldn't pull alongside to have a word. He could see I was less than impressed and as soon as the road split at the next roundabout he was going in the empty left hand lane (I joined the queue for right turns), he accelerated away before braking sharply to make his left hand turn.

I've seen a few of you talk about reporting incidents such as these to road safe but have a feeling this is only for London? Today's incident was in Wiltshire. Also, I got the registration as BF08 OVV but after checking now one website is telling me this is a foreign plate which can't be right.

Comes up as a white Transit 85 T280S FWD van registered in UK

BSRU

A Human Being
My experience of Wiltshire police is they will probably do no more than file it if reported, unless you have witnesses and/or a video of the incident. Unfortunately they do not have enough traffic officers, so they need to carefully prioritise their time.

Wiltshire does not have anything like RoadSafe, to make a complaint about "dangerous" driving you need to call the non-emergency number, then they will send you a witness statement form to fill in if they believe it's worth pursuing.

BSRU

A Human Being
What I've heard about Wiltshire, from someone who lived there for a while, is that the police and courts, council, etc, are pretty much stuck in the Dark Ages. Would you say that was accurate?

Basically yes, Swindon is a car town because of the main local employer being Honda.

OP
OP
C

Celerie

Thanks for the input guys I'll bare this in mind next time I have any problems. Plus the headcam should arrive in the next few days :smile:

Top Bottom