Air compressor capacity for seating tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
A few months ago I bought a very small 8l air compressor for Brad nailing.

I was wondering if this would have the capacity to inflate a 28mm road tyre to about 80psi very quickly (to help seat the tyre (non tubeless) as part of the tyre is not sliding all the way up to the rim wall. I can get it too fit but it takes several attempts and lots of messing.

Specs attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-14-10-20-38-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-14-10-20-38-52_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2
I bought an Airshot bottle to seat tubeless tyres and it works brilliantly. Its capacity, by my quick maths is around 3l (it's a cylinder roughly 10cm dia. x 35cm) but releases the air quickly through a tap. I'd expect an 8l compressor to be able to do the same.

If a non-tubeless tyre isn't seating properly, is the inner tube the right size?

Never had that before - yes maybe the tube is too small ? Sometimes a dusting of talc inside the tyre helps things move round better.

Reactions: C R

presta

Guru
Your tyre volume is about 1.3L, the compressor says it will deliver 120L/min, so by my reckoning it will take something of the order of 60*1.3/120 = 650ms to inflate the tyre. I don't have any experience of tubeless, but that sounds to me as if it's likely to be quick enough. I'd make sure the air pressure in the tank is no greater than the safe rated pressure of the tyre before trying it though.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
I bought an Airshot bottle to seat tubeless tyres and it works brilliantly. Its capacity, by my quick maths is around 3l (it's a cylinder roughly 10cm dia. x 35cm) but releases the air quickly through a tap. I'd expect an 8l compressor to be able to do the same.

If a non-tubeless tyre isn't seating properly, is the inner tube the right size?

Inner tube is correct. Found modern rims have a tendancy for this. Happens on a variety of tyres and rim combinations I have tried.

Thanks re the capacity.
Never had that before - yes maybe the tube is too small ? Sometimes a dusting of talc inside the tyre helps things move round better.

I use that method. Trying a compressor, as I already have one, is more about convenience.

Colin S

Über Member
If it is a tubed tyre, it might still be worth using some soapy water to help the tyre slide out onto the rim more easily. It shouldn't need an airshot type approach with a tube

C

Sallar55

Veteran
Have you removed the valve core, 8 litre tank but how many bar? Airshot bottle can take 11bar using a track pump, always works from about 8 bar up. When you hear the tyre pop it's sealed onto the rim, then fit valve core and pump up tyre.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
What would happen if you flat out on the road ?

It is only a small section of the tyre which will not seat, the rest does. It leaves a slight dip when you spin the tyre.

That said, as I mentioned previously, I can get it seated but it can take 5 minutes or so of faffing, trying, retrying. The compressor was more for convenience.

Ordered an inflator tool now relatively cheap, so took a gamble to see if it works.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
something is odd / amiss. if you have an inner tube you have no need for a compressor / other method to get the air in super quick, that is purely for tubeless where the air is leaking out ahead of a seal being made.

if the tyre / rim aren't damaged, thenjust use a track pump and over inflate until the pressure makes them seat correctly and then back it off to riding pressure.

conversely if you cant achieve this with a track pump then the tyre / rim is damaged or somehow in compatible tyre width to rim width.
Found modern rims have a tendancy for this. Happens on a variety of tyres and rim combinations I have tried.
^^^this makes no sense at all.

OP
OP
Velochris

Velochris

Über Member
Maybe I have not described it well but this search gives the general idea. Many of these refer to the problem occuring with tubed tyres.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bik...rome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1

As stated, I can do it using many of the methods but it takes many attempts. Some suggest an air compressor (I have a track pump and over inflating has not worked) as a it gets the air in rapidly so has more chance of getting the tyre in place.

In respect of the comment that did not make sense, I never experienced this problem with the rims I commonly used to use (Open Pro, Ambrosio Excellence etc.). Ok not since rims got wider have I seemed to experience this and it has occured in a variety of more modern rims.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That compressor delivers two litres per second. The pressure switch on it won't act instantaneously when it reaches the set pressure so there's a real danger that you will blow your tyre to smithereens in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Guru
That compressor delivers two litres per second. The pressure switch on it won't act instantaneously when it reaches the set pressure so there's a real danger that you will blow your tyre to smithereens in the blink of an eye.

Indeed. Whatever the issue with correctly seating a tubed tyre. an air compressor is not the answer.

There are plenty of suggestion on the google link the OP has provided as to how to proceed (without an air compressor) but sometimes you can't save people from themselves. Maybe be a future Darwin award:okay:

Top Bottom