Airport Bike Boxes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killjoy

Über Member
My son is currently cycling round Southern France and is trying to decide which airport to fly back from, one of the deciding factors is trying to find which airports can supply/sell cardboard bike boxes. Any information would be be most apprciated, he is currently going towards Montpellier.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do ANY airports actually supply or sell cardboard bike boxes? Wouldn't it be a solution to acquire a bike box from a bike shop near the airport; package up the bike; and then the obvious hassle of transporting the boxed up bike on public transport or a taxi to the airport? There is a branch of Decathlon just 3.5 miles from Montpellier airport; shouldn't cost too much for a taxi even at French prices!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure Decathlon sell bike boxes but you could beg s cardboard manufacturers box but it wouldn't offer much protection, sorry maybe that’s what you meant.
Worth checking dimensions as the way airlines are at the moment they charge a fortune for anything oversize. Maybe look into sending unaccompanied.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Worth checking dimensions as the way airlines are at the moment they charge a fortune for anything oversize. Maybe look into sending unaccompanied.
It's not so bad now Mr C, most airlines take bikes up to about 30kg for around £50, they don't quibble on dimensions once it's a bike, it's already outsize. You can book it at the same time as your ticket or add it later.
Surprisingly BA are one of the trickiest to specify a bike on the booking. With easyJet you just add a piece of "large sporting equipment" as you book, 55 quid, go and drop it off at the Out of Gauge desk, and Bob's your uncle.

Debade

Über Member
We called some bike stores and visited others two years ago in Paris, which was the end our tour. Bike shop owners were very accommodating. They gave us boxes. Some wanted to sell them. We found transportation large enough to take us to airport. It is a good idea to have an idea about box size needed. Having the shop box the bike is an option.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Someone somewhere has had good experiences with transparent bike bags. As the baggage handlers can see its a bike they tend to take more care with it.
I did that once. Flying from Glasgow to Bordeaux via Gatwick, so 4 sets of baggage handlers to contend with, and all was well at the other end. Pedals off and handlebars turned sideways were the only stipulations. Cycled back to the channel then ferry and train home.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Someone somewhere has had good experiences with transparent bike bags. As the baggage handlers can see its a bike they tend to take more care with it.
I’ve done this when I used to fly home from tours, including from Montpellier to Gatwick. I never risked it on the outbound leg, but for coming home it’s worth the risk and I only have good experiences to report.

I removed pedals, loosened and turned handlebars, and used an empty pannier strapped over the rear mech for a bit of protection. I was asked to sign a waiver in Copenhagen once but had no problems at all.

You will probably need to remove loaded panniers and check them in separately. I was usually able to leave my tent attached to the top of the rack though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have couriered my bike box to either a hotel or friends who live near the airport (I have friends who live 5km from Nice airport). Pack bike up, taxi to airport and the job is done. From memory it was around £35 to courier my bike to Nice last time.

Bike boxes aren't that big and will fit in most small medium size cars with rear seats which drop flat.

Gillstay

Über Member
We used bike bags in Poland, booked a hotel the first night relatively close to the airport and left out bags there, then picked them up on the way back to the airport. Then used them again several times, unlike a box.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
You can phone a bike shop and arrange to pick up a box from them: they're usually pleased to get rid of them because they have to pay to have them taken away. You can fold up the box and sling it across your shoulders then ride to the airport and spend a happy half hour dismantling the bike there.
In extremis you can go to a supermarket and nick a load of cardboard boxes and buy parcel tape and wrap the bike in the boxes, put the outers with the colourful designs on the inside, and it looks like a box.
Be aware that not a single cardboard box in the world will ever properly protect the bike so what the airlines want is protection for other people's luggage.
Be careful when acquiring one from a bike shop: you probably need a road bike sized box not a mountain bike one. At Madrid airport Iberia will insist on a box and you can buy one from them for €25, if they have any left! DAHIKT

You can also use clingfilm: I've done this, take off the handlebars, rear mech, front wheel, it's a bit complicated but doable. You can also go to a DIY store and buy strong plastic sheeting. It then looks like a bag and most airlines want a box or bag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom