Alex Rims R500

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The choice of bike pump is not related to the rims you have, it is related to the type of valve in the tube. Most good track ;pumps have a dual head so you can inflate both schrader (car) type valves and, by flipping the head, Presta (racing bike type) valves.

There are a multitude of track pumps which are good quality, but I recommend a steel barrel type for durability. If you want a frame pump, that is a pump which you can carry on your frame, then if you have suitable frame fittings, I recomend Zefal.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.


I'm confused - and worried that I'm missing something fundamental.

I don't think that you need a special pump to match particular rims, you need to match the pump nozzle to the inner tube valve type. I think that R500s are for road bikes, so I'd guess that your inner tubes are presta valves (long-ish and thin-ish with the end you need to unscrew before adding / removing air). You will need a pump which works with presta valves.

If your tyres are narrow, you'll probably need something over 70psi, so a track pump will be the best to have at home, or a road-tyre specific frame pump (to get to high pressures) to take with you on the ride.

Whatever, I think (hope!) that the rims are pretty much irrelevant for pump selection.
Top Bottom