Alivio 8 Speed Chainset and 9 speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Will an 8 speed Alivio chain set work with a nine speed set up i.e. the entire drive train is 9 speed and would fitting an 8 speed Alivio chain set work if it was used to replace a cheap and worn out budget 9 speed chain set?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The issue is not about 8 or 9 speed. AFAIK current Alivio chainsets are available in both square tapered and octalink forms, and are designed to deliver a 50mm mtb chainline (for which it appears there are 12 different Alivio chainset models designed to work with 5 different bbs!), whether you can do a smooth straight swap therefore depends on what you have at the moment.

Other than that I think they are sound, solid chainsets. Compared to more expensive models the only real downside is ~200g heavier.

If you can provide the model name and number of the chainset, what chain rings (in T) you have got, and preferably provide the measurement of the front chainline, I think we should be able to help better.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The issue is not about 8 or 9 speed. AFAIK current Alivio chainsets are available in both square tapered and octalink forms, and are designed to deliver a 50mm mtb chainline (for which it appears there are 12 different Alivio chainset models designed to work with 5 different bbs!), whether you can do a smooth straight swap therefore depends on what you have at the moment.

Other than that I think they are sound, solid chainsets. Compared to more expensive models the only real downside is ~200g heavier.

If you can provide the model name and number of the chainset, what chain rings (in T) you have got, and preferably provide the measurement of the front chainline, I think we should be able to help better.

I'm not bothered about chain line. I have that covered with a suitable matched bottom bracket. It's whether or not the eight speed rings will work with a nine speed drivetrain.

Top Bottom