All new to this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafreg

Hey all!

Just a quick note to say hello. Name's Gregg and in a week or so I will be cycling to work 5 days a week. As I'm new to cycling I thought joining a forum would be a good idea.

Many thanks

Gregg

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hello Greg and :welcome: to the forum. Enjoy your riding and I hope this site will aid you along your way :smile:
Hey all!

Just a quick note to say hello. Name's Gregg and in a week or so I will be cycling to work 5 days a week. As I'm new to cycling I thought joining a forum would be a good idea.

Many thanks

Gregg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Gregg, everything you need to know, and much more that you don't is available on the forum. Don't be afraid to ask.

OP
OP
R

Rafreg

I need to start off by finding the right bike! I am commuting to work 5 days a week. Mainly road with occasional pathway/trail. Hybrid or flat bar road bike. I have no idea

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Welcome Rafreg

Any bike can be ok ideally you want one that can take a rack and panniers.

A back pack makes you hot and sweaty and The bike feels better with the weight lower down,

how far is your commute ?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Hello and welcome from Somerset
wave.gif

OP
OP
R

Rafreg

I don't think I will carry anything into work as I can store all at work including my work clothes, having said that you never know. My commute is 28 miles all-round trip.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A reasonable hybrid would seem to be the job for you. It will have clearences for mudguards which are essential in winter and rainy days, and you can fit a rack as well to carry stuff on. Do you have a price range?

OP
OP
R

Rafreg

Max would be say £500! I work for a large company and for some reason they don't do any cycle to work scheme which is annoying!

lulubel

Über Member
Max would be say £500! I work for a large company and for some reason they don't do any cycle to work scheme which is annoying!

I had the same when I bought my first decent bike. I worked for a company with 2000 or so employees, no-one had heard of C2W and they weren't prepared to sign up when I told them about it. I probably would have spent twice as much on the bike if I could have done C2W, but I'm still very happy with the bike I did get.

Have you been doing much cycling? Going from very little to 28 miles, 5 times a week is a big jump if not, so you might have to ease into it gradually.

OP
OP
R

Rafreg

I go run, but not cycling. The way I am starting to view things is.....If I didn't have a car, how else would I get to work. Needs and musts. When I start I will let everyone know how I got on haha

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

You ,may be better off without c2w it leaves you free to bargain ,try to get the best price then try to blag a few accessories such as helmet lights lock etc. Personally I would much prefer to buy from a local bike shop than an internet company, any problems and a good shop will offer help and advice.

Top Bottom