alpe d'huez, galibier, tourmalet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peejay78

heading over in august. currently riding 12-25, 39/53. managed this fine on ventoux about 18 months ago. ride fixed (72'', quite hilly) 15 miles to work and back every day. feel quite strong, will be getting in some epic touring miles between now and then.

am i being foolhardy or should i switch to a 13-29? or whatever the campag next step is? has anyone ridden these climbs on 12-25? am i right in thinking they are shorter and less violent that ventoux?

questions questions...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Alp d'Huez is probably less of a climb than Ventoux and the other two depends to some extent which side you go at them from. But if you did okay on the Ventoux then I should think you'll be okay.

Bigtwin

I have ridden up Alpe D'Huewheeeze.

I found I became puffed at one stage, and solely because of that was unable to equal Pantani's efforts.

13 killer hairpins. If I'd had a 1-1 I could have used it.

Like all these things, it depends how fit you are, how tired you are, and how fast you plan to go.

But I'd say, if you had a 13-29, I very much doubt you'd get to the top saying "oh silly me, what on earth was I thinking of?". Those extra 3 teeth don't weigh a lot.

OP
OP
P

peejay78

that's what i was thinking, i'm going to fit the extra teeth.

i wish campag did a 12-27 in 10 speed.

Top Bottom