Alt v-brakes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evil Rabbit

I fancied putting some M970 XTR v-brakes on my On-One Pomi, to replace the old mini-v's on there now, however, I can't find them online and in stock anywhere - I guess they are being discontinued. A couple of sites have the rear, but no one seems to have the front.

Anyone got any suggestions for around the same budget of £60 per each?

404325.jpg

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Are you aware that normal v and mini v brakes require very different amount of cable pull (i.e. therefore requiring different brake levers, or brake lever setup when available) to work properly?

I have never had any problem using front v brake at the rear or vice versa. The only difference is the run of the cable to left or right, at worst requiring a different shaped noodle (which are readily available cheaply), and swapping the left and right pads.

OP
OP
E

Evil Rabbit

Are you aware that normal v and mini v brakes require very different amount of cable pull (i.e. therefore requiring different brake levers, or brake lever setup when available) to work properly?

I have never had any problem using front v brake at the rear or vice versa. The only difference is the run of the cable to left or right, at worst requiring a different shaped noodle (which are readily available cheaply), and swapping the left and right pads.
Yes, I am. Thanks. I was intending to change the drop levers for specific v pull one.

colinr

Nope, I have the reverse problem. Because of the short pull they're adjusted really tight and you can't remove the noodle at all without messing around with things.

henshaw11

I'm pretty sure the front and rear versions are exactly the same - if there is any difference it's only what noodles they come with, and I'm pretty sure they both come with both types of cable noodles anyway - I'll check my spare set* tomorrow if I can remember.

Hmm...sounds like I ought to be stocking up on the some kool-stops - I've got the XTRs on a couple of bikes, and I've still got one pair* to put on the back of the 'bent...tho' I prefer the older, completely painted versions (even if they did rattle to let you know they were still there) - the latest versions have a ground ally surface around the edge which is a bit naff IMO - and possibly more prone to corrosion...

(ukbikestore seems to have fronts in stock@ £60 but are listing rears too, CRC have rears in stock for 64)

Top Bottom