Alternates to my knobblies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
So I currently have Continental Speed Kings on my bike (700x35) and thay've been great for when I've taken the bike off road. I'd like to get a set of tyres for when I know I won't be going off road.

I'm looking at the Schawlbe Marathon Supreme (folding).

Are there any strong opinions pro or con with these tyres?

My rims have 15.7 inner rim width and 21.6 outer, so according to Sheldon Brown I could look at something down to 700x28 or perhaps even 700x25.

Any thoughts?

Crankarm

Guru
Try the Continental Travel Contacts. Mine have been excellent and no punctures in 8 years :evil:. You get a spare tube with them as well (Halfords). They get excellent write ups on CRC.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18822

I really rate the Continental Contact Sports, come with an inner tube, and have a similar smooth profile to the Schwalbes (although I don't think they do a folding version). I've used 32's and 28's without punctures and without problems at all. Very hard wearing - 1000 miles on the latest pair and no sign of wear - and very smooth rolling.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The supreme are pointless unless you're going touring or something and need a folding tyre. They are very expensive and few places sell them. I think one person on here used/uses them.

Sheldon says you can use down to a 23 on those rims actually. 23 or 25 will be folding anyway so probably the way to go.

Crankarm

Guru
.....and thanks to those who replied???

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
scook94 said:
I think I'll go with the 28s, I can always try the 25s further down the line...

Depends if you want to squeeze out every last bit of speed, 28s are fine unless you are a total speed freak, in which case you'll be wanting 23s... :smile:

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Got the gatorskins this morning. Got them fitted tonight along with the spare inners I had. Was the first time I've ever changed a tyre/tube so I'm quite chuffed, won't be so scared should I need to change a tube out on the road.

Went for a quick spin round the block and they didn't go flat on me! Felt really good compared to the knobblies so can't wait to go for a longer ride now!

That's the saddle, pedals and tyres changed since I bought got the bike, wonder what I can pimp it out with next....?

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, I chucked out conti gators after 200 miles, cutting up, flats and some alarming behaviour in the wet

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Tynan said:
gawd, I chucked out conti gators after 200 miles, cutting up, flats and some alarming behaviour in the wet

Just saw your other post too. It's very difficult getting a recommendation for tyres as everyone seems to have completely different experiences with exactly the same tyre.

I'll give the gators a try and if they suck I'll move on to something else. What do you use, out of interest?

Top Bottom