Alternative to Boardman Adv 8.8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
No worries about the PM - as it happens you're the second person to have complained about this when attempting to respond to my PMs - something the mods might be able to shed some light on perhaps, please..?
It's to stop spammers

Halfords etc don't allow top up of vouchers

OP
OP
P

PainterUK

No worries - I can appreciate where you're coming from re. avoiding Halfords - in which case you'll want to avoid Tredz too as they're also part of that group ;)

No worries about the PM - as it happens you're the second person to have complained about this when attempting to respond to my PMs - something the mods might be able to shed some light on perhaps, please..?

I don't see why the shop wouldn't allow you to pay more on top of the voucher, but appreciate that you might not want to push your budget any further. The bike (last year's Croix de Fer 20 for anyone wondering - recommended via PM as it's a good price and I might yet want to buy from there!) is in the same crossover / gravel / adventure / road plus category as the Boardman you're looking at.. This format being essentially a road bike with fatter tyres (37c on the Genesis, 38c on the Boardman), disc brakes and more upright geometry, typically with a slacker head angle for better stability on rough surfaces.

There are loads of bikes in this segment; another popular one is the Pinnacle Arkose; although personally I'm put off by its ally frame and I'd like to think many would also be put off by the fact that it's an Evans own-brand; who are owned by Mike whatshistw@ who also owns Sports Direct and has hardly showered himself in glory by forcing his employees to continue working through the pandemic we're experiencing.. but I digress!

Good luck finding something suitable :smile:

I am pretty sure I read in other topics that some stores do not allow anything paid on top of the voucher (Evans being one of them, if I am not mistaken.. I may be wrong, but I remember reading this).

I'll check that bike again as I got the idea it was a pure road bike. And query if they allow additional payments! I sent an email to Merlin to ask the same.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am pretty sure I read in other topics that some stores do not allow anything paid on top of the voucher (Evans being one of them, if I am not mistaken.. I may be wrong, but I remember reading this).

I'll check that bike again as I got the idea it was a pure road bike. And query if they allow additional payments! I sent an email to Merlin to ask the same.
Evans used to allow it, they may not do so any more.

The Croix de fer is more Cyclocross (the fantastic Equilibrium is more road but still takes 30mm tyrres, 28s with mudguards)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's to stop spammers

Halfords etc don't allow top up of vouchers
Didn't know that about the Halfords vouchers - I wonder why that is?

I did wonder if the PM problem was artifically-implemented in the name of spam prevention, but can't really see any reason in it tbh - is it based on post count / time on forum? I've been blighting this forum with my presence for more than a month now and have 200+ posts, while I believe the other member who couldn't respond to my message was more established than I am, IIRC.

Cool - I'm not familiar with the voucher system and from what others are saying perhaps the purchase is limited to the value of the voucher. Can't see why this would be but then it wouldn't be the first time I failed to understand something :tongue:

If it's financially viable the CdF is well worth a look IMO (I'm feverishly searching for one myself but ideally used) - it's intended to be a versatile all-rounder, which appears to be what you're after.

The Croix de fer is more Cyclocross (the fantastic Equilibrium is more road but still takes 30mm tyrres, 28s with mudguards)
I'd not pigeonhole it as a CX bike tbh; bit too heavy, relaxed and stable for that IMO. An interesting point about the equilbrium though!

OP
OP
P

PainterUK

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for your patience yesterday!
For some reason I figured I was too much into the Boardman looks so I've decided to request an increase in the voucher to £1100 and go for the Boardman Adv 8.9

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/boardman-adv-8.9-mens-adventure-bike-526787.html

It's from Halfords but I will just buy the bike for now and then in a few weeks I'll get the components from a separate online shop.. or just wait for the lockdown to end and then get them on a physical retailer.

Top Bottom