Am I Being Scammed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
He seemed surprised that I had contacted the person at the address he gave me and found out he didn't live there.

He said I was weird :eek:

No you are very sensible :thumbsup: and he is a total knob by the sounds of it ^_^

A few years ago there was a scam going around, this company advertised wanting to buy cars saying that if they were still on HP they would carry on paying the outstanding HP until it was cleared. So a guy I worked with rang them and this guy turned up and agreed to take the car and continue paying HP, he never saw the car again and no one payed the HP. This happened to people all round the country :headshake:these guys took the car basicaly for free and sold it on and it took a couple of months for the owners to cotton onto what was going on, by which time they were long gone. The owners didnt get much sympathy from the HP companies either as technically what they had done was a breach of contract, as they had stopped making HP payments thinking someone else was making the payments for them, so they ended up still paying the HP but with no car.

So I say if in doubt tell them to bugger off and if they think you are weird f**k em I would rather be weird and solvant than normal and skint :laugh:

colly

Re member eR
So what can they do with your bank details?

Yes, what CAN a scammster do with just an account number, sort code, and account name?

I get paid by bank tranfer all the time and in fact these details are on each and every cheque you issue. I have my details on invoices I send out and get invoices issued to me with the same detail on.

phil_hg_uk

Yes, what CAN a scammster do with just an account number, sort code, and account name?

I get paid by bank tranfer all the time and in fact these details are on each and every cheque you issue. I have my details on invoices I send out and get invoices issued to me with the same detail on.

They could attempt to setup direct debits from your account as in this story:

TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.
He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after he discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

Clarkson published details of his Barclays account in the Sun newspaper, including his account number and sort code. He even told people how to find out his address.
"All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing," he told readers.
But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

colly

Re member eR
That's very interesting. I had no idea that could be done.

If it's so easy though with just the basic information how come it isn't happening to all of us all the time?

phil_hg_uk

That's very interesting. I had no idea that could be done.

If it's so easy though with just the basic information how come it isn't happening to all of us all the time?

Probably because you havent annoyed anyone enough for them to be bothered to target you, or you have been lucky.

There are alsorts of scams going on all the time, just because it hasnt happened to you doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

One of the scams that used to be around on ebay a few years ago, and usually done by overseas buyers, was where someone would buy an item then send payment for the item but they would overpay, when you pointed out they had overpaid they would say oh silly me well rather than me having to pay again and you having to wait you send me the difference as you already have my payment and we will all be square, and of course a few days later the payment would bounce.

I have had payments come into my paypal account and paypal say yes post the item everything is fine only for the payment to bounce a few days later, this is because paypal dont take the payment the day it is made they take it a few days later and by then there was no money in the persons accout to take so they bounced it and also by then the person had already taken delivery of the goods.

colly

Re member eR
Probably because you havent annoyed anyone enough for them to be bothered to target you, or you have been lucky.

Well I hope I wouldn't upset anyone like JC does.
As for being lucky and not targeted. Well I have been and I am fortunate so far in that I have spotted what's going on.

I know there are lots of scams, some very sophisticated and plausible and we all have to be aware of the risks and try to do what we can to minimise the risks.

I'll have a word with my bank on Monday but I'm still doubtful anyone could filch cash from my account with just the basic information and no more. Actually getting cash from my account is problematic for me most of the time but that's another story.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You would think that in this day and age the banks could come up with a much better and safer way of paying for things, one that cant be reversed and stop scammers once and for all.

There are things which can be done, but the banks can't be bothered so it's down to the individual.
I know a few ways to tighten up the security of your accounts, so if you'd all like to send me your full names and addresses along with your bank address, account number and sort code, I'll happily do it for you. If you want to include your PIN then I've a couple of tricks up my sleeve for increasing security for those too.
You may want to PM the information though, wouldn't want the info falling into the wrong hands :thumbsup:

phil_hg_uk

There are things which can be done, but the banks can't be bothered so it's down to the individual.
I know a few ways to tighten up the security of your accounts, so if you'd all like to send me your full names and adresses along with your bank address, account number and sort code, I'll happily do it for you. If you want to include your PIN then I've a couple of tricks up my sleeve for increasing security for those too.
You may want to PM the information though, wouldn't want the info falling into the wrong hands :thumbsup:

Would you like my facebook login as well :headshake:

TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.
He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But Clarkson admitted he was "wrong" after he discovered a reader had used the details to create a £500 direct debit to the charity Diabetes UK.

Clarkson published details of his Barclays account in the Sun newspaper, including his account number and sort code. He even told people how to find out his address.
"All you'll be able to do with them is put money into my account. Not take it out. Honestly, I've never known such a palaver about nothing," he told readers.
But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column.

"I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

"I was wrong and I have been punished for my mistake."

One of the very, very, very, very, VERY few "Clarkson-in-the-news" items that really does involve some humour - ROFL. Couldn't have happened to a better man!

Top Bottom