Am I being stupid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GTMA

Excuse me as I try to describe the issue as best I can without too much waffle. Here is my attempt at succinctness:

1) I keep thinking about fun times (childhood/1980s) when I used to ride a bicycle a lot.
2) The exact bicycle I rode was an absolutely top-of-the-line racing bike bought for me by a rich uncle (parents were not rich).
3) I used to ride all the time as a kid - every single day. It was associated with exploration, lots of friends, excitement, new experiences, etc. This lasted until I was 15. Don't want to bore anyone with it but this is how we got around.
4) In my 40s now. Not an athlete. Elite private school (I'm not that social class now). I used to do (regularly): fencing, judo, swimming, cycling (all the time), karate.
5) I don't really get enjoyment from cycling any more. But I remember those times when everything was activity and excitement and NEW, with fondness.
6) In my adult years, the only thing that really gets me that feeling of excitement again is riding motorcycles. Nothing, and I mean nothing, else gives me a remembrance of that feeling. Lots of friends, lots of exploration, lots of parties, lots to look forward to, etc. All brought to me by that French top-of-the-line racing bike.
7) I no longer have the old French racing bike I had as a teenager (threw it away long ago) but I can buy the same exact one again, if I want. OR any other bike (but I don't really do cycling any more).
8) Not fat, fairly strong compared with an average dude, but not really in shape aerobically.

Question: do I buy it (I'm not a "cyclist") or do I not?

This is probably more of a kind of midlife crisis kind of question than a strictly cycling one. Deep down, I wish I could get that same joy and excitement from cycling, and not just motorcycling, as I once did. I would love to get that feeling back. But then, as a human being thing, I might just need to stop being stupid. What do you think? Should I buy that bike or should I not?

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Buy the bike. Thinking about buying a bike gets you nowhere.

Buy the bike and start to use it. Find a local friendly cycling group to go on rides with and have adventures. You don't need to be massively fit - that will build up. Don't write groups off because they are older than you, or younger than you. You go out as a group because you like the same type of cycling.

I'm not 50 yet but the vast majority of the group I go out with are over 60. We all have great fun, great chats, look after each other and see some beautiful places.

Without the bike, all you have is a thought experiment.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Buy or borrow a cheap, used bike that fits and see if you have enough motivation to go out the door and ride a few times a week.

If you do, great, keep riding and later get a better bike if you want.

If the motivation isn't there then you have lost very little.

You say you threw your French bike away; that suggests that you may not have been having such a wonderful time as your memories indicate.

D

Deleted member 26715

You're all telling him to buy a bike, but Shirley he must have one if he no longer enjoys riding it? I would suggest you buy/borrow a different bike, if it's the thrill of speed & new adventures you seek, then consider MTB going 10mph down a muddy slope can be like doing 30mph on a road bike or 100mph on a motorcycle.

Top Bottom