am i doing something wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
hi all,

i'm building up a pearson touche frame, i nearly finished it after 6 hours. i put the wheels in and the rear wheel lined up with the bottom bracket ok, but the top of the wheel was 4mm off centre to the frame, at the brake bridge end of the seat stays.here's one picture.....

6283480222_4d314ede59_o.jpg

and a link to the others i took.......linky link

is it something i'm doing wrong (for example a badly built wheel?), although how hard is it to stick in a wheel, or is like i think a frame fault?

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
checked the wheel by putting it in the other way round and it was the same........any ideas

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
[QUOTE 1592463"]
You have tightened up the track nuts on one side of the wheel before tightening up the other side.

Loosen off the track nuts (I presume, if your wheel is quick release then I don't know the problem).

Put the wheel back on, tighten up the nuts until they bite the rear stays, then half a turn for each nut, alternating between each side until fully torqued.
[/quote]

Make these adjustments with snappy movements. If you make slow strong adjustments the axle nut is liable to slip along the drop out, causing something like your current problem.

Is the wheel is well built and true?

Is the axle undamaged/ straight?

Is the frame damaged, and are the dropouts parellel with each other? Any misalignment will be exagerated at the outer part of the wheel.

What happens if you try and line up the wheel with the brake bridge instead of the bottom bracket?

A trip to your LBS would soon help reveal the problem, and hopefully find a simple solution.

( I own the same socks as you are wearing in the pics. They are good socks. A bit too warm at times though!)

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
cheers guys but i'm not a novice. i've measured the length of the chainstays and they're 4mm different. the frames going back tomorrow.

i was looking for something out of the ordinary. like i said i checked the wheel, it lines up in one plain but not the other like it should.

cheers tho.

Top Bottom