An accident is an accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We all have a duty and responsibility not to use slogans, terminology or language which is inappropriate, incorrect or misleading or causes distress or offence.

I realise that the public will not have any idea that the two words/terms deeply distressing and deeply offensive to the bereaved parents and families of innocent road crash victims are – ‘road traffic accident’ and ‘accidental death’. Both of which, as well as being deeply distressing and deeply offensive, are inappropriate and are grossly misleading and compounds the overwhelming grief, devastation and trauma of the bereaved.
(We refer to the term ‘accident’ as the ‘A’ word)

I cannot express strongly enough how distressed and offended we feel when we hear word/term ‘accident’ (the ‘A’ word) when referring to Road Traffic Crashes. It is making the assumption that it was without apparent cause, which is grossly misleading. The word/term ‘accident’ (in this context) is in fact incorrect, inappropriate, grossly misleading, and it is insulting, deeply insensitive, deeply offensive, deeply distressing. It is belittling the trauma and devastation suffered by families of Innocent loved ones horrifically and violently killed in Road Traffic Crashes in an unprovoked attack of Road Violence by another road user who used their vehicle as a lethal weapon whilst committing one or more criminal offences and Playing Russian Roulette with the lives of innocent men, women and children.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/309.html

The word offends people. People who have lost loved ones. Whether you agree with the use of the word or not, only a callous idiot would continue to use it knowing how offensive it is.

The fact you think I 'richly deserve' a kicking for a difference of opinion over a word marks you out as a zealot.

Once again, I didn't say that and I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. I said that if you said to the widow of a man killed on a zebra crossing by a driver who later torched his car that his death was an "accident" then if she attacked you you would deserve it. You've been told numerous times that many people find your choice of words offensive, that you continue to use it knowing how upsetting it is for people says a great deal about your character.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Once again, I didn't say that and I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. I said that if you said to the widow of a man killed on a zebra crossing by a driver who later torched his car that his death was an "accident" then if she attacked you you would deserve it.

Backpedalling much? Come on, last night you and your chum Mikey said I deserved a kicking. Your post was deleted, but not before I saw it. Mikey even said he'd knock my block off. There was no mention of the poor lady whose bereavement you are now cynically invoking to cover your arse.

The Driving Standard Agency has decided to remove the incorrect and misleading term 'accident' from the Highway Code and replace it with 'Collision’, ‘Crash’ or ‘Incident’. So too, has the CPS and the CJS. The Norfolk Constabulary will be using the term COLLISION on their new design ‘Witness Appeal Boards’ deployed to road death scenes. – The decision by William Armstrong, Coroner for Norfolk, to stop using the terms ‘road traffic accident’ and ‘accidental death’ is very much welcomed by bereaved families of Innocent Road Crash Victims.

All that's by-the-by. Suppose an elderly relative used the word "nigger" about a black person. Your relative may not be racist, just rather uneducated and old-fashioned. Would it not be sensible and humane to ask them to stop using words that are offensive? You may not agree with the choice of words, but what sort of person would want to DELIBERATELY upset someone and cause them distress?

D

Deleted member 26715

All that's by-the-by. Suppose an elderly relative used the word "nigger" about a black person. Your relative may not be racist, just rather uneducated and old-fashioned. Would it not be sensible and humane to ask them to stop using words that are offensive? You may not agree with the choice of words, but what sort of person would want to DELIBERATELY upset someone and cause them distress?
How can the word 'nigger' be offensive, the Afro-Black community use it to talk about themselves, just listen to rap music (there is a C missing off the front if you ask me) if anything it is racist not to allow White people to use it.

Alan...

Hip Priest

Veteran
How can the word 'nigger' be offensive, the Afro-Black community use it to talk about themselves, just listen to rap music (there is a C missing off the front if you ask me) if anything it is racist not to allow White people to use it.

Alan...

Well, it is a derogatory term, but blacks have reclaimed it. In the same way that homosexuals have reclaimed the word queer. I'm perfectly happy with those groups using those terms, whilst acknowledging that it would be inappropriate to use them myself, as a straight white man.

It is offensive to some people, that's obvious, and from the quotes from people who lost loved ones on the roads show that they get very upset at the use of the word, so to me, the argument over whether we find it offensive or not is nothing to do with it. The people quoted upthread find it offensive and upsetting. None of us want to deliberately upset people, do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom