An alarming new commuting fashion?..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

Coulda been just a front brake on it, but it sounds like you checked that out GrasB.

blockend

Fixed riders take more risks to maintain progress in traffic IMO. I certainly do compared to a geared bike, the ability to change pedal position quickly in response to handlebar position is important in traffic and a fixed gear inhibits those instincts slightly and keeping rolling is the favoured option even when it's not always smart.

A fixed bike with brakes will stop quicker than any other bike, but that's only one part of the equation. Anyone riding a bike without brakes is kidding themselves that they can stop as fast as as with them, the biomechanics of the leg just aren't up to turning repeated forward motion into reverse like that, well, maybe if you ride a sub 30" gear. A bike with no brakes and a freewheel is something for the dedicated optimist.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
A fixed bike with brakes will stop quicker than any other bike, but that's only one part of the equation.

Slightly pedantic here, but I'm pretty sure Ian, Mikey or myself could out brake a fixie. Assuming sufficient grip on the road, the limiting factor in rate of rider deceleration quickly becomes the physics of staying *with* the bike. On a diamond frame, the rider is perched on top and will struggle to get their weight far enough behind the front wheel to really take advantage.

On a 'bent, the bulk of rider mass is well behind the front wheel, and typically far closer to the ground. At the point where most DFs would be carried forward over the bars, the bent will keep on stopping.

Personally, I don't know how you lot keep your balance all the way up there ;)

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
A fixed bike with brakes will stop quicker than any other bike, but that's only one part of the equation.
Fastest way I've found to stop any bike is to push your weight back as far as possible & only use the front brake to the point you're about to go over the 'bars. On a fixie your leg motion means you can't get as far back as a freewheel unless the rear wheel is locked or in the air. When you get to that state it doesn't matter about free or fixed it's down to basic physics & front tyre grip.

Slightly pedantic here, but I'm pretty sure Ian, Mikey or myself could out brake a fixie. Assuming sufficient grip on the road, the limiting factor in rate of rider deceleration quickly becomes the physics of staying *with* the bike. On a diamond frame, the rider is perched on top and will struggle to get their weight far enough behind the front wheel to really take advantage.

On a 'bent, the bulk of rider mass is well behind the front wheel, and typically far closer to the ground. At the point where most DFs would be carried forward over the bars, the bent will keep on stopping.

Personally, I don't know how you lot keep your balance all the way up there ;)
I agree, the stopping power of my Giro is limited only by front tyre grip, even on a hot dry road.

martint235

Dog on a bike
1451553 said:
Remind me, which of us struggles riding up hills at walking pace?

Oooooh, I'm off to buy popcorn.......
whistling.gif

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
mickle, there be cables & leavers visible on that bike.

Top Bottom