An idea for a way to reduce RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

One way I thought how you could reduce RLJing, is to reduce the timing of how long traffic lights stay on red.
Lots of people go through on amber and even after they have just turned to red when they've been waiting ages for them to change.
People are less willing to wait when they know that if they do, they're going to have to wait bloody ages for them to change again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well if you took that a step further to really reduce RLJ'ing you could have them on Green all the time... then there would be no RLJ'ing. (Think BIG!!:biggrin::biggrin:)

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you could see the new lights at a big roundabout called Whitebirk outside Blackburn you'd understand how good modern traffic management has become. For years it was a nightmare with queues from every direction. They completely remodelled it with modern LED lights, making the roundabout road much wider so that it could accomodate and manage the contents of a long two-lane queue. The lights work in a clever sequence and now there are no queues and much happier drivers.

Will1985

Über Member
What about people waiting at the other set of lights - do you expect them to wait longer whilst one direction gets priority with longer greens? Makes sense in rush hour I suppose, but not at big junctions where all directions are heavy with traffic.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's a huge roundabout, a few hundred yards in circumference so it has the capacity to hold a lot of traffic. Somehow they have managed to sort out the timing of the lights so that you never wait more than a few seconds to join the roundabout and once on it you usually go straight round. It's pretty impressive what can be achieved with good design and programming.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
We could also do with some flyovers in major cities, we seem completely opposed to such an idea, but they can really help. Building a flyover for most of the North Circ would work wonders, and it would be a good idea for the inner ring road too....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'll go with the sniper idea... I reckon about 20/day in different cities, enough to be newsworthy and they'll soon stop.

Tony

So the lights stay green longer.....and thus red longer at the road crossing the one you're on....

Top Bottom